Midnight. Swordfight.

- Zape, July 2, 2021

- lavieenmeow, June 21, 2021

- Minidoc, January 24, 2021

A Genuine Pleasure to Play, January 15, 2021

I played this first a few years ago, but recently I decided I wanted to try it again. The writing and energy of this story is unique and playful in a way that makes it incredibly memorable.

I wish there was a comprehensive guide to all endings, but I also understand that maintaining the mystery is part of the purpose of having so many endings in the first place. Behind the curtain, Groover says that there are "more than twenty-five different outcomes". I've found 26 unique combinations, and 15 'named' endings.
Since there is no record if it elsewhere, these are the 15 named endings that I have discovered. There could be more, but I think I might have all of them:
(Spoiler - click to show)Curtain, No Exile Could Have Better Timing, Fuck the Script, Ever Onward, Those who Oink and Run Away Make Live to Oink Another Day, Snicker-Snack Indeed, To Win is to be One, Now That Wasn't Too Hard, Was It?, All is Fair in Love and War, Love Conquers All, It's a Mustery, Ain't It?, The Best Defense is a Good Kielbasa, Keep Your Friends Close and Your Kielbasa Closer, Out of the Frying Pan, into the Tulgey Wood, Memento Mori.

Needless to say, if you enjoy really responsive storytelling, this is for you. If you're even mildly curious, give it a shot - I guarantee you'll get some modicum of enjoyment out of it.

- Laney Berry, September 24, 2020

- Matt W (San Diego, CA), June 27, 2018

- Bartlebooth, June 15, 2018

- Guenni (At home), January 19, 2018

Old Games Italia

In definitiva, Midnight. Swordfight. di Chandler Groover è un divertissement che prende per mano l'avventuriero esortandolo a danzare in un giardino panoramico in cui sia stata edificata una follia dal capriccio di un architetto estroso.

You wrote this review - Revise it | Add a comment

- E. W. B., March 18, 2016

- IFforL2 (Chiayi, Taiwan), February 16, 2016

- Shirm, February 11, 2016

- Hannah Powell-Smith, February 4, 2016

A one-move game combined with an alternative, time-warping reality, February 3, 2016
Related reviews: IF Comp 2015

Midnight, Swordfight was an IFComp 2015 game. This game is a one-move game like Aisle or Rematch, where you are in a duel with a countess and have only limited actions available. Innovatively, these actions are listed in a playscript in your inventory.

Another innovation is that you can enter an alternate reality, where you can travel through and around time to change the setup of the duel.

The world is mysterious and bizarre, with some of the darker parts of Lewis Carroll mixed with David Eddings mixed with all sorts of things. The game is dark, and contains explicit descriptions of sex and intense violence (although the violence is not to the level of, say, One Eye Open). The worksmanship is impeccable.

- Simon Deimel (Germany), January 27, 2016

Another excellent work from Chandler Groover!, January 25, 2016

Yet again, this author astounds me with a total reimagining of the IF navigation model. Yet again, it puts the typical model to shame.
I love how this isn't just gimmick (though that would have been enough) - the gameplay ties into the story and setting absolutely perfectly. The visuals evoked are fantastic, and the entire thing is a shining homage to some of the most iconically bizarre products of the masquerade era. If only it were illustrated accordingly!

- branewurms, January 10, 2016