Suspended

1983

Previous | << 1 2 >> | Next | Show All

- Nomad, March 2, 2021

Cool concept, January 14, 2021
by End Master (The Outer Reaches Of Your Mind)
Suspended is another one I played through the Lost Treasures compilation. I actually do remember seeing the alternate box version with the neat cryo “mask” in stores, but once again was never one I bothered with.

Just as well since I doubt I would have gotten into the actual game that much as a younger child.

Now entire concept itself of being a meat popsicle that acts as a sort of integrated brain for a greater computer system that runs vital aspects of a planet is pretty intriguing. Add in the whole fact that the system is severely damaged due to disasters and you have to fix it before more people die is also a good plot motivator. In fact it reminds me a bit of another game called Seedship except more complex in terms of the challenges you have to accomplish to make sure more people don’t die.

Which brings me to the actual gameplay, which is, well another review said it best that it’s more like a simulation than anything else. Controlling various damaged robots to fix various things before they send someone from above to shut you down believing you’ve gone mad and are the one trying to destroy the world rather than save it.

I think that’s one of the plot holes of the game, of why if they could send in techs, why don’t they just do that to fix things themselves. I know there’s some stuff in the feelies that implies the government is just very inefficient to think that far ahead, but I think it could have been handled a bit better.

For example I could see some of the puzzles including trying to help the actual human techs that get down there to reach places that even you wouldn’t normally be able to (Or even fix the multi-purpose bot!) and if you did something wrong, the human techs die during the ongoing disasters eventually all leading up to all life on the surface being wiped out or destroyed to such a degree that nobody is coming down to do anything for a very long time leaving you to linger in cryo until the systems completely fail resulting in your death.

In any case, wasn’t exactly my thing, but like I said it was a good idea. Endings on how efficiently you saved lives I suppose adds replay value for some into more technical games like this.

However, I enjoyed the addition of “impossible mode” where the game just has the planet’s sun explode killing everyone anyway. (I mean impossible doesn’t mean “very hard” it means can’t be done!)

- steamfire, September 22, 2020

- Zape, August 23, 2020

- jjsonick, August 17, 2019

A complicated optimization Infocom game set in the future, February 3, 2016
Related reviews: Infocom
Suspended is a very unusual Infocom game. You take control of six robots, each with their strengths and issues (only one can see, but it's broken; another can feel things, but it talks in riddles; one is mainly useful if you're closer to dying, etc.)

The idea is that each one can see its environment in different ways. The first few playthroughs might just consist of exploring each room in the (provided) map, and understanding what needs to happen. Then later playthroughs would consist of trying over and over again to survive, and then trying to do it quickly.

I just played around for 15 minutes, and then used the walkthrough. I'd like to revisit this in the future. The robots have clever commentary.

It's mentioned in Planetfall that multipurpose robots like Floyd eliminated the need for these specialized robots.

- Janice M. Eisen (Portland, Oregon), December 6, 2015

- Thrax, March 11, 2015

- Doctor Zero (USA), March 7, 2015

Only initially daunting, March 7, 2014
This game has a reputation as one of Infocom's most difficult, but I got on with it rather well. I think the premise scares people off, along with the fact that even experienced players need to absorb a lot of information from the manual before they can really start. But the game is straightforward and logical once you get past the initial hurdle, as long as you're attentive and unafraid of trial runs. For the record, I'm only talking about solving the puzzles and completing the game on the default difficulty--I'm sure Advanced mode and achieving the highest optimization rank is much harder (I made a few half-hearted optimization attempts, got a middling score, and called it a day).

With the premise of six robots that all have different senses, I was expecting to be sifting through cryptic output half the time, similar to Bad Machine, but it's not like that. Yeah, sometimes the robots will see things in different ways (or not see things at all), but their descriptions are quite human-friendly. In fact, sometimes it feels like their limited senses are more of an excuse to have sparse room descriptions. There really aren't that many objects in the facility for you to poke, pick up, or otherwise interact with. You won't be juggling dozens of inventory items in this game, another reason why the problem-solving stays manageable.

I have heard Suspended described as A Mind Forever Voyaging's endgame turned into a puzzle game proper, but the game I would say it is most similar to (though it predates both) is Varicella. Play sessions typically end badly for you within a couple hundred turns, but this is expected, as your initial task is to gather information using all the tools at your disposal. Once you get a sense of when, where, and why things are happening, then you can concern yourself with the positioning and timing required to bring the plan together. And of course somewhere along the way you have to figure out how to get past the trickier obstacles. In each case, it's a satisfying nut to crack.

I suppose I can't be too hard on an old Infocom game for this, but I should mention that Suspended does have some picky moments about which nouns and verbs you need to use. I never got stuck on them (whether by luck or persistence), but don't expect gentle nudging toward the right idea, or any feedback at all in some cases. Referring back to the manual can help.

- dk101 (London, UK), March 2, 2013