A very pretty version hosted at the author's website.
Le butin du Capitaine Verdeterre
French translation by Hugo Labrande

Captain Verdeterre's Plunder

by Ryan Veeder profile

2013

You should carry the bag. I'm more of a delegator.

First Publication Date: September 29, 2013
Forgiveness Rating: Unnecessarily Judgmental
IFID: E4AEBEE7-5B50-4CE1-B0E5-4308EE994826
TUID: 8u5me2jkkw3icqa9

Translated to French in Le butin du Capitaine Verdeterre, by Ryan Veeder
Spoofed by Captain Piedaterre's Blunders, by Wade Clarke

4th Place - 19th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2013)

Nominee, Best Puzzles; Nominee, Best Individual Puzzle; Winner, Best Individual NPC - 2013 XYZZY Awards

News

French Translation February 28, 2014
Expand all | Add a news item

Enjoyable, repeatable optimization minigame, February 3, 2016

This game would work great as a text adventure (which it is), a point-and-click, a sidescroller, and frankly just about anything.

You are stuck with a rat captain and have to get out of sinking ship as fast as possible, grabbing whatever treasure you can. There are some mild puzzles (and probably some harder ones I couldn't figure out), but mostly you just try to figure out what's worth saving.

This is pretty fun. I enjoyed spending a ton of turns trying to get an obscure object only to discover it was completely worthless. Sometimes things are not what they seem (diamonds in the rough) and sometimes they are what they seem (dirt clods in the rough).

Lots of fun, and super short (to maximize replay value). I recommend a few playthroughs for fun.

Very clever "open-ended' game, December 7, 2013
by streever (America)

This is a very clever and easily re-playable game.

Too much description would spoil the pleasures in it--be prepared to play several times, interacting, examining, and testing different things.

Narratively it is a very funny game. Descriptions are well-written, red herrings are nicely done, and the sense of exploration is high.

I'm looking forward to seeing "highest attainable score"--the nature of the game is such that it isn't obvious how high of a score you can get without extensive replays.

Survive with the most toys, October 27, 2018

"I'm not a high score seeker," I thought. "This isn't my type of game." But I still ended up replaying it dozens of times and taking notes to get the best score I could (I got (Spoiler - click to show)1330 on my own and (Spoiler - click to show)1579 after reading a hint from the author for a certain treasure). What won me over was a combination of the charming writing style and the well-implemented mechanic of water rising up through the levels of a sinking ship. Well, really, the ship is sinking down into the water, but you get the idea. I also liked how the map emphasizes height and up/down movement between layers. Even within individual rooms, some treasures are at different heights so they disappear under the water at different times.

Still, despite being a cute little game, it's too short and simple to be very interesting. Too much score/turn-counting, not enough puzzles for my taste. I'd have preferred a tricky challenge more like A Change in the Weather. An extra point is deserved for strong writing and implementation, but I'm omitting my rating from the average because I admit it's just not my type of thing.

Note: this rating is not included in the game's average.

If you enjoyed Captain Verdeterre's Plunder...

Other members recommend these games for people who like Captain Verdeterre's Plunder, or gave both high ratings:

The Curse of the Scarab, by Nils Fagerburg
Archeology licenses are for suckers, not for Rhoda Tarcrew. But now the authorities are closing in and there's only time for one last dig before you have to flee the country. Better make it count.

The Matter of the Monster, by Andrew Plotkin
You stagger up to its lair. Blue sand drags at your feet. Your Hands don't tremble well, much as you ready your new weapon. Your voice doesn't quaver (hardly at all) as you shout out the words you were taught. One, two! Dive and...

The Tale of The Foolish Princess, by TharaApples
Family must die. With a kingdom in shambles, and a crown too heavy in the weight of both responsibility and sin, someone must acquiesce the throne. But what can one princess do? Author Notes: This story is a contest entry for EndMaster's...

Captain Verdeterre's Plunder appears in the following Recommended Lists:

2013 XYZZY Awards Nominees by Molly
Here are the nominees for the 2013 XYZZY Awards, roughly by order of appearance on the finalist page. Note that this list does not cover the Best Technological Development Award.

Best fantasy games by MathBrush
These are my favorite games that include some sort of magical or fantastical element. Games with mostly horror or sci-fi elements are on other lists, as are surreal games, fairy tale/nursery games, and religious/mythological games. I've...

IF Playlist for the Brontoboards by Molly
This is a list I created as a general guide to interactive fiction for a thread I'm making on Brontoforumus. I'm trying to give a good overview to both parser IF (usually called "text adventures") and choice-based IF (or...

The following polls include votes for Captain Verdeterre's Plunder:

Maintained Hall of Fame / High score list by Denk
Maintained Hall of Fame or high score list is a great idea. Let's list those games where a maintained hall of fame/high score list is accessible, either within the game or online.

Best Short Games (5-60 minutes) by Sasha Davidovna
I'm pretty new to IF and am having a lot of fun, but in between a toddler and a job and other real life stuff, I'm having trouble finding time to finish many of the longer games I want to play. Can you please recommend me some fun and/or...

For Your Consideration - XYZZY-eligible NPCs of 2013 by Sam Kabo Ashwell
This poll is a place to suggest non-player characters from games released in 2013, who you think might be worth considering for Best Individual NPC in the XYZZY Awards. Leave the name (or namelessness) of the NPC (or NPCs) in the comment...

This is version 13 of this page, edited by Zape on 14 April 2021 at 2:54am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item