A very pretty version hosted at the author's website.
Requires a Glulx interpreter. Visit IFWiki for download links.
Le butin du Capitaine Verdeterre
French translation by Hugo Labrande
Requires a Z-Code interpreter. Visit IFWiki for download links.

Captain Verdeterre's Plunder

by Ryan Veeder profile

2013

You should carry the bag. I'm more of a delegator.

First Publication Date: September 29, 2013
Forgiveness Rating: Unnecessarily Judgmental
IFID: E4AEBEE7-5B50-4CE1-B0E5-4308EE994826
TUID: 8u5me2jkkw3icqa9

Translated to French in Le butin du Capitaine Verdeterre, by Ryan Veeder
Spoofed by Captain Piedaterre's Blunders, by Wade Clarke

4th Place - 19th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2013)

Nominee, Best Puzzles; Nominee, Best Individual Puzzle; Winner, Best Individual NPC - 2013 XYZZY Awards

News

French Translation February 28, 2014
Expand all | Add a news item

Enjoyable, repeatable optimization minigame, February 3, 2016

This game would work great as a text adventure (which it is), a point-and-click, a sidescroller, and frankly just about anything.

You are stuck with a rat captain and have to get out of sinking ship as fast as possible, grabbing whatever treasure you can. There are some mild puzzles (and probably some harder ones I couldn't figure out), but mostly you just try to figure out what's worth saving.

This is pretty fun. I enjoyed spending a ton of turns trying to get an obscure object only to discover it was completely worthless. Sometimes things are not what they seem (diamonds in the rough) and sometimes they are what they seem (dirt clods in the rough).

Lots of fun, and super short (to maximize replay value). I recommend a few playthroughs for fun.

Very clever "open-ended' game, December 7, 2013
by streever (America)

This is a very clever and easily re-playable game.

Too much description would spoil the pleasures in it--be prepared to play several times, interacting, examining, and testing different things.

Narratively it is a very funny game. Descriptions are well-written, red herrings are nicely done, and the sense of exploration is high.

I'm looking forward to seeing "highest attainable score"--the nature of the game is such that it isn't obvious how high of a score you can get without extensive replays.

If you enjoyed Captain Verdeterre's Plunder...

Other members recommend these games for people who like Captain Verdeterre's Plunder, or gave both high ratings:

The Curse of the Scarab, by Nils Fagerburg
Archeology licenses are for suckers, not for Rhoda Tarcrew. But now the authorities are closing in and there's only time for one last dig before you have to flee the country. Better make it count.

My Evil Twin, by Carl Muckenhoupt
After last night's all-nighter (I had an important report to do for work), I intended to sleep all through the day. But I can't afford to do that. Somewhere out there, my evil twin is plying his schemes, and I'm the only one who can stop...

The Fair Unknown, by James Chew, Failbetter Games
A Menace Eradicator embarks on a quest to save his missing lover. Will you journey with him to the fabled Tournament of Rubies? Test your skill at arms against Parabola's most skilled combatants. Unmask the Mystery Knight. Perhaps even...

Captain Verdeterre's Plunder appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Great "lunchtime length" games by MathBrush
These are games that can generally be completed in 30 minutes or less. Some can be completed much faster. Included in this list are games that have multiple endings that can individually be reached quickly. It also includes several Twiny...

IF Arcade by Ivanr
Graham Nelson once said that a text adventure is a "novel at war with a crossword puzzle". In some works, the novel wins, and in some the crossword wins. This is a list of games where both of them are trounced by the NES. In other words,...

Crime and Heist games by MathBrush
I've played a lot of these recently, so I'm making a list. A contrast to my Detective and Mystery games list and similar to my Espionage and Spy game list, where I put Spider and Web, for instance.

The following polls include votes for Captain Verdeterre's Plunder:

Games with high replay value by Wendymoon
What games do you find yourself returning to again and again? Maybe to get every last lousy point, to do some amusing things, to try for different endings or just for the enjoyment of replaying?

Games with "logical" puzzles by Victor Gijsbers
Some puzzles--like chess problems or sudokus--can be difficult even though you know all the rules. I'm looking for IF games with this kind of puzzle: you can get to know the rules by simple exploration, and then you still have to solve...

Nautical IF by Felix Larsson
I know there was a couple of commercial high-sea text adventures. Now I am on the look-out for ‘modern’, post-commercial IF with a nautical theme. As far as I can tell, there is a definite shortage of bucaneers, boatswains, able seamen...

This is version 14 of this page, edited by Wade Clarke on 2 November 2021 at 1:03am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item