A very pretty version hosted at the author's website.
Le butin du Capitaine Verdeterre
French translation by Hugo Labrande

Captain Verdeterre's Plunder

by Ryan Veeder profile

2013

You should carry the bag. I'm more of a delegator.

First Publication Date: September 29, 2013
Forgiveness Rating: Unnecessarily Judgmental
IFID: E4AEBEE7-5B50-4CE1-B0E5-4308EE994826
TUID: 8u5me2jkkw3icqa9

Translated to French in Le butin du Capitaine Verdeterre, by Ryan Veeder
Spoofed by Captain Piedaterre's Blunders, by Wade Clarke

4th Place - 19th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2013)

Nominee, Best Puzzles; Nominee, Best Individual Puzzle; Winner, Best Individual NPC - 2013 XYZZY Awards

News

French Translation February 28, 2014
Expand all | Add a news item

Enjoyable, repeatable optimization minigame, February 3, 2016
This game would work great as a text adventure (which it is), a point-and-click, a sidescroller, and frankly just about anything.

You are stuck with a rat captain and have to get out of sinking ship as fast as possible, grabbing whatever treasure you can. There are some mild puzzles (and probably some harder ones I couldn't figure out), but mostly you just try to figure out what's worth saving.

This is pretty fun. I enjoyed spending a ton of turns trying to get an obscure object only to discover it was completely worthless. Sometimes things are not what they seem (diamonds in the rough) and sometimes they are what they seem (dirt clods in the rough).

Lots of fun, and super short (to maximize replay value). I recommend a few playthroughs for fun.

Very clever "open-ended' game, December 7, 2013
by streever (America)
This is a very clever and easily re-playable game.

Too much description would spoil the pleasures in it--be prepared to play several times, interacting, examining, and testing different things.

Narratively it is a very funny game. Descriptions are well-written, red herrings are nicely done, and the sense of exploration is high.

I'm looking forward to seeing "highest attainable score"--the nature of the game is such that it isn't obvious how high of a score you can get without extensive replays.

Survive with the most toys, October 27, 2018
"I'm not a high score seeker," I thought. "This isn't my type of game." But I still ended up replaying it dozens of times and taking notes to get the best score I could (I got (Spoiler - click to show)1330 on my own and (Spoiler - click to show)1579 after reading a hint from the author for a certain treasure). What won me over was a combination of the charming writing style and the well-implemented mechanic of water rising up through the levels of a sinking ship. Well, really, the ship is sinking down into the water, but you get the idea. I also liked how the map emphasizes height and up/down movement between layers. Even within individual rooms, some treasures are at different heights so they disappear under the water at different times.

Still, despite being a cute little game, it's too short and simple to be very interesting. Too much score/turn-counting, not enough puzzles for my taste. I'd have preferred a tricky challenge more like A Change in the Weather. An extra point is deserved for strong writing and implementation, but I'm omitting my rating from the average because I admit it's just not my type of thing.
Note: this rating is not included in the game's average.

If you enjoyed Captain Verdeterre's Plunder...

Other members recommend these games for people who like Captain Verdeterre's Plunder, or gave both high ratings:

The Curse of the Scarab, by Nils Fagerburg
Archeology licenses are for suckers, not for Rhoda Tarcrew. But now the authorities are closing in and there's only time for one last dig before you have to flee the country. Better make it count.

Hansel et Gretel - La Revanche, by Corax
Incarnez Hansel et, aidé de votre sœur Gretel, affrontez d'impitoyables sorcières au cours d'une histoire sombre et un peu décalée. Énigmes, combats tactiques et gros flingues au rendez-vous !

You Couldn't Have Done That, by Ann Hugo
Your first day on the job wasn't going to be pleasant. Such was inevitable. It's a big change. And, you are autistic. But this was a different story, far worse than unpleasant.

Captain Verdeterre's Plunder appears in the following Recommended Lists:

IF Arcade by Ivanr
Graham Nelson once said that a text adventure is a "novel at war with a crossword puzzle". In some works, the novel wins, and in some the crossword wins. This is a list of games where both of them are trounced by the NES. In other words,...

2013 XYZZY Awards Nominees by Molly
Here are the nominees for the 2013 XYZZY Awards, roughly by order of appearance on the finalist page. Note that this list does not cover the Best Technological Development Award.

Great "lunchtime length" games by MathBrush
These are games that can generally be completed in 30 minutes or less. Some can be completed much faster. Included in this list are games that have multiple endings that can individually be reached quickly. It also includes several Twiny...

The following polls include votes for Captain Verdeterre's Plunder:

Games suitable for children by Mike Sousa
My 10 year old twins recently "discovered" IF. They fell in love with Grunk and are asking for more games to play. I've searched BAF and have some ideas, but figured I would give this poll a shot since there are hundreds and hundreds of...

Maintained Hall of Fame / High score list by Denk
Maintained Hall of Fame or high score list is a great idea. Let's list those games where a maintained hall of fame/high score list is accessible, either within the game or online.

Games for Beginners by WriterBob
I'm looking for games that are suited for adults who are new to IF. My purpose is to share these games with friends and let them get experience IF without being frustrated by mazes or guess-the-verb issues. Please avoid children's games....

This is version 12 of this page, edited by Zape on 27 January 2021 at 2:56am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item