A very pretty version hosted at the author's website.
Requires a Glulx interpreter. Visit IFWiki for download links.
Le butin du Capitaine Verdeterre
French translation by Hugo Labrande
Requires a Z-Code interpreter. Visit IFWiki for download links.

Captain Verdeterre's Plunder

by Ryan Veeder profile

2013

You should carry the bag. I'm more of a delegator.

First Publication Date: September 29, 2013
Forgiveness Rating: Unnecessarily Judgmental
IFID: E4AEBEE7-5B50-4CE1-B0E5-4308EE994826
TUID: 8u5me2jkkw3icqa9

Translated to French in Le butin du Capitaine Verdeterre, by Ryan Veeder
Spoofed by Captain Piedaterre's Blunders, by Wade Clarke

4th Place - 19th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2013)

Nominee, Best Puzzles; Nominee, Best Individual Puzzle; Winner, Best Individual NPC - 2013 XYZZY Awards

News

French Translation February 28, 2014
Expand all | Add a news item

Enjoyable, repeatable optimization minigame, February 3, 2016

This game would work great as a text adventure (which it is), a point-and-click, a sidescroller, and frankly just about anything.

You are stuck with a rat captain and have to get out of sinking ship as fast as possible, grabbing whatever treasure you can. There are some mild puzzles (and probably some harder ones I couldn't figure out), but mostly you just try to figure out what's worth saving.

This is pretty fun. I enjoyed spending a ton of turns trying to get an obscure object only to discover it was completely worthless. Sometimes things are not what they seem (diamonds in the rough) and sometimes they are what they seem (dirt clods in the rough).

Lots of fun, and super short (to maximize replay value). I recommend a few playthroughs for fun.

Very clever "open-ended' game, December 7, 2013
by streever (America)

This is a very clever and easily re-playable game.

Too much description would spoil the pleasures in it--be prepared to play several times, interacting, examining, and testing different things.

Narratively it is a very funny game. Descriptions are well-written, red herrings are nicely done, and the sense of exploration is high.

I'm looking forward to seeing "highest attainable score"--the nature of the game is such that it isn't obvious how high of a score you can get without extensive replays.

If you enjoyed Captain Verdeterre's Plunder...

Other members recommend these games for people who like Captain Verdeterre's Plunder, or gave both high ratings:

The Curse of the Scarab, by Nils Fagerburg
Archeology licenses are for suckers, not for Rhoda Tarcrew. But now the authorities are closing in and there's only time for one last dig before you have to flee the country. Better make it count.

DinoKnights, by KT Bryski
Saddle up to defend the realm on dino-back! Once a humble farmerís child, youíve been accepted into Queen Isobel's Rangers: brave knights who patrol the kingdom of Pascalia on scaly beasts. But just as you receive your own dino and begin...

Spectrum, by Caelyn Sandel (as Colin Sandel)

Captain Verdeterre's Plunder appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Best of Comedy by Cryptic Puffin
IF comes in many packages, from sci-fi to fantasy to surrealistic, but it's my opinion that the best of them all come in the form of comedies; is there anything better than adventuring and laughing at the same time? The correct answer...

Short/Sweet by Cryptic Puffin
No time? No problem!

IF Playlist for the Brontoboards by Molly
This is a list I created as a general guide to interactive fiction for a thread I'm making on Brontoforumus. I'm trying to give a good overview to both parser IF (usually called "text adventures") and choice-based IF (or...

The following polls include votes for Captain Verdeterre's Plunder:

Best Short Games (5-60 minutes) by Sasha Davidovna
I'm pretty new to IF and am having a lot of fun, but in between a toddler and a job and other real life stuff, I'm having trouble finding time to finish many of the longer games I want to play. Can you please recommend me some fun and/or...

Games with NPCs that tag along by Ghalev
List here any games that feature a (preferably memorable!) "sidekick" character - an NPC who follows the viewpoint character around for most or all of the game, as per Floyd in Planetfall or Trent/Tiffany in Leather Goddesses of Phobos.

Games for Beginners by WriterBob
I'm looking for games that are suited for adults who are new to IF. My purpose is to share these games with friends and let them get experience IF without being frustrated by mazes or guess-the-verb issues. Please avoid children's games....

This is version 14 of this page, edited by Wade Clarke on 2 November 2021 at 1:03am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item