The Lookout

- Shaduf, May 27, 2022

- Dee Cooke, March 9, 2022

- Mr. Patient (Saint Paul, Minn.), February 13, 2022

- Olaf Nowacki (Berlin, Germany), December 14, 2021

Story-driven horror tale over several days at a forest lookout, November 14, 2021

This is a complex story written in Inform. You play as a man who recently experienced a haunting tragedy. Driven to solitude, you take work at a national park working in a lookout.

But things aren't okay out here. Something strange is happening to animals and hikers, and there's little you can do to stop it.

The game is story-driven; puzzles are minimal, and the borders of your little world are enforced strictly, while the game takes most actions for you. I felt like pacing was slightly off, where a little more guidance in some parts and a little less in others could have worked better, but it's hard to put my finger on anything.

I think the story mixed together the threads of isolation, terror, and loss pretty well, and I found to be one of the better short games I've played this year.

- Jade68, November 3, 2021

You are here, and itís beautiful, and escaping isnít always something bad., November 3, 2021
by jakomo
Related reviews: ectocomp2021

As in Firewatch, you've volunteered for Fire Tower duty, deep in the forest, far from civilization, and far from the personal tragedy that feeds your nightmares. Unlike Firewatch, you won't be doing much hiking, exploration and mystery-solving: in The Lookout the horror comes to you. Although very linear, this is an effectively told creepy tale, with a strong emphasis on atmospheric descriptions that provide a slow-burning escalation of visceral terror.

- Dark Forest Media (Port Huron, MI.), November 2, 2021