Bell Park, Youth Detective

- hoopla, September 25, 2015

- Deka, February 17, 2015

- CMG (NYC), February 14, 2015

Interesting murder mystery., January 10, 2015
by Chai Hai (Kansas City KS)

This was fun. Not exceptionally great or anything, but worth your time.

You're a 12 year old at a library, hoping to score some extra cash. There's some internet conference about to start, but someone was just murdered! Can you figure out who the killer is before the conference starts?

I enjoyed talking to the various suspects. The first guy was my favorite.

There's a twist ending which was entertaining, but not too far off considering that it was an internet convention.

There could've been more choices, the story was linear, but it wasn't bad. A nice diversion.

- Joshua Houk, October 18, 2014

- Molly (USA), May 11, 2014

- The Xenographer, May 1, 2014

- Doug Orleans (Somerville, MA, USA), April 4, 2014

- Floating Info, April 1, 2014

- Roricus, March 11, 2014

Hilarious , November 30, 2013
by Sharpe (Playing Kerkerkruip, the IF Roguelike)

Bell Park, Youth Detective isn't really so much a game as it is a funny short story. It isn't meant to be taken any more seriously than a skit on Saturday Night Live—and what's even better is, I can see this actually being a funny skit on a show like that. Suspension of disbelief shouldn't be a problem at all.

To say it has multiple branches like a CYOA is true, but it's more like a series of jokes with multiple punchlines. At first, I chuckled a few times here and there throughout the story, but upon reading one passage toward the end, I burst out laughing. At that point, Bell Park certainly served its duty and became a worthwhile read.

It's very well written, fun, and simple. Two thumbs up.

—Richard Sharpe

- Anya Johanna DeNiro (Minnesota), November 25, 2013

Low on choice, but well-written and fun., November 18, 2013
by streever (America)

The writing is good: I'm not typically one to sit through a game with large amounts of text, but the presentation and writing on this game were both very well done.

The story centers on a 12 year old detective investigating a murder, and makes clear nods to how ridiculous the premise is.

The writing is funny and engaging.

This CYOA is low on choice--like many classic CYOAs, it seems to have one outcome. The lack of choice didn't hamper this entry, however--it was still engaging and enjoyable.

I appreciated the formatting of the page--in general, I think the better CYOAs lay out the page in a way that makes it easier to read than the default layouts.

- Egas, November 17, 2013

- N.C. Hunter Hayden, October 30, 2013

- ifwizz (Berlin, Germany), October 28, 2013

Much text, few choices, October 4, 2013
by Ray

This CYOA is fairly competently written and mildly amusing at first, but gets increasingly boring when the player, or should I say, reader, is bombarded with page loads of text with only a few and useless choices to be made. The story is improbable enough to make me lose attention while at the same time not wacky enough to keep me entertained (unlike the author's earlier piece about bees). So I skipped from about half-way through till the unspectacular end.

Previous | << 1 2 >> | Next | Show All | Return to game's main page