Play Online
Most recent post-comp release.
Play Online (original)
The original version submitted to IFComp 2013.

Bell Park, Youth Detective

by Brendan Patrick Hennessy profile

Pre-Teen Mystery
2013

A headstrong twelve-year-old detective gets in over her head when she's hired to solve a murder mystery at an internet technology conference.

Language: English (en-CA)
First Publication Date: September 29, 2013
IFID: 5884B067-DE4E-4058-8119-9CE61B121A94
TUID: xrwjtcm2ykahb5fe

10th Place overall; 3rd Place, Miss Congeniality Award - 19th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2013)

Nominee, Best NPCs; Nominee, Best Individual NPC - 2013 XYZZY Awards

Hilarious , November 30, 2013
by Sharpe (Playing Kerkerkruip, the IF Roguelike)

Bell Park, Youth Detective isn't really so much a game as it is a funny short story. It isn't meant to be taken any more seriously than a skit on Saturday Night Live—and what's even better is, I can see this actually being a funny skit on a show like that. Suspension of disbelief shouldn't be a problem at all.

To say it has multiple branches like a CYOA is true, but it's more like a series of jokes with multiple punchlines. At first, I chuckled a few times here and there throughout the story, but upon reading one passage toward the end, I burst out laughing. At that point, Bell Park certainly served its duty and became a worthwhile read.

It's very well written, fun, and simple. Two thumbs up.

—Richard Sharpe

Low on choice, but well-written and fun., November 18, 2013
by streever (America)

The writing is good: I'm not typically one to sit through a game with large amounts of text, but the presentation and writing on this game were both very well done.

The story centers on a 12 year old detective investigating a murder, and makes clear nods to how ridiculous the premise is.

The writing is funny and engaging.

This CYOA is low on choice--like many classic CYOAs, it seems to have one outcome. The lack of choice didn't hamper this entry, however--it was still engaging and enjoyable.

I appreciated the formatting of the page--in general, I think the better CYOAs lay out the page in a way that makes it easier to read than the default layouts.

Very Well Written CYOA with Great Title Character, May 10, 2017
by Audiart (Davis, CA)

I enjoyed the humorous yet mature writing style, and the titular character much more than the game itself. The only real puzzle is figuring out the solution to the crime, by interviewing all of the suspects. Ultimately the main character is so likable and funny that going through every dialogue option was buckets of fun. You will find yourself going "back" to check all of the options.

The character of Bell Park is one of the most well-developed teen characters I've ever seen in IF. Although in general I despise twine games, I think the format really worked for this game. It would have probably been less interesting as a short story, for example, because part of the fun was going through all of the different dialogue options.

I would recommend this game to people who don't like Twine format in general, because "Bell Park, Youth Detective" really plays more like a Choose Your Own Adventure book than the typical moody avant-gardism infesting the genre.

If you enjoyed Bell Park, Youth Detective...

People who like Bell Park, Youth Detective also gave high ratings to these games:

A Change in the Weather, by Andrew Plotkin
"Walking away from a picnic, you are suddenly caught in a country storm. You must protect a bridge from being destroyed. An ultra-linear game." [--blurb from The Z-Files Catalogue]

Crossroads, by Cat Manning
They say it's death to seek the witch. For you, it's worth the risk. Venture in to the forest in search of relief, but remember that magic is rarely straightforward. A short psychological game about self-knowledge and its price. Content...

The Icarian Cup, by Harry Tuffs, Failbetter Games
The Icarian Cup returns to London! A daring boatrace around the Southern Archipelago, the prize a magnificent trophy (and a bounty of sapphires)! Pay no mind to the talk about the race being 'cursed' and 'ships disappearing' or 'the race...

Bell Park, Youth Detective appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Games that made me smile by MathBrush
I wanted to do a list of comedy games, but I think people rarely think "I want to play a comedy game"; to me, the phrase brings up some kind of jokey, goofy game, like many of the poorly made Twine games that people make now. Instead,...

2013 XYZZY Awards Nominees by Molly
Here are the nominees for the 2013 XYZZY Awards, roughly by order of appearance on the finalist page. Note that this list does not cover the Best Technological Development Award.

Detective and mystery games by MathBrush
These are games where you play a detective or someone else investigating a mystery. Most of them are realistic games which I am splitting off of my realistic list. Some are more magical or science fi-ish.

The following polls include votes for Bell Park, Youth Detective:

For Your Consideration: XYZZY-eligible PCs of 2013 by Sam Kabo Ashwell
This poll is a place to suggest player characters from games released in 2013, who you think might be worth considering for Best Individual PC in the XYZZY Awards. Leave the name (or namelessness) of the PC in the comment on your vote....

For Your Consideration - XYZZY-eligible NPCs of 2013 by Sam Kabo Ashwell
This poll is a place to suggest non-player characters from games released in 2013, who you think might be worth considering for Best Individual NPC in the XYZZY Awards. Leave the name (or namelessness) of the NPC (or NPCs) in the comment...

This is version 6 of this page, edited by Brendan Patrick Hennessy on 1 May 2016 at 6:08pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item