Play Online
Zipped game file
Zip file containing all Grand Guignol entries into ECTOCOMP 2016

Bring Me A Head!

by Chandler Groover profile

Better hope you can hack it.

A Grand Guignol entry for ECTOCOMP 2016.

First Publication Date: October 31, 2016
IFID: 4B628522-12BE-474E-BD61-7DADB0FBD899
TUID: vhud0bjh6zdz702z

1st Place, Le Grand Guignol - EctoComp 2016

A gem in Groover's signature grotesque, vivid style, March 5, 2017
by verityvirtue (London)
Related reviews: phlegmatic

You are the executioner in the Duc's palace, and the Duc wants a head. You have to get it. The problem is, the next execution is four days away, so you'll have to... improvise.

The setting is one of the strong points in this work. The Duc's palace stars inhabitants so perfectly adapted to their role, it seems they would shrivel and perish if they were removed from it. The... oozy aesthetic reminded me of Nekra Psaria (https://jayisgames.com/games/nekra-psaria/).

Bring Me a Head is, at heart, a chain of fetch quests. Talk to characters, who will tell you what you need to get them. Chandler's writing is succinct, sketching out a disgusting, baroque setting, off set by wry humour - a double entendre here (Spoiler - click to show)in, say, breaking horses, an unexpected name there.

If you liked it, I recommend a tiny utopia by the same author, Skullscraper.

Short gross adventure, July 21, 2017
by Denny (NY)

The genre might be listed as horror, but this story has a lot of humor also--gross-out humor you might say. And it's kind of a puzzle as well, because you wind your way through what would seem to be a castle, with it's courtyard, west wing, astrologic tower, etc., to fulfill a gruesome task by bartering... things. Because The Duc wants a head, basically. It's a nice short take on text adventuring that will definitely have you thinking laterally in a gross way.

A horror Twine item-trading game with complex code, December 14, 2020

This game is polished and well-done, but I think I admire the coding more than the game itself.

You play as an executioner of some sort in a dark castle. This castle seems to me like a prototype of the one in Eat Me, with a similar cast of bizarre creatures and vaguely reminiscent layouts. But castles in games tend to be similar, so it's probably in my head.

You're required to find a head for your master in this game, so you have to explore the castle, finding what you can and trading it for better things.

The complexity comes from two things: the styling (boxes around progress links, none around 'aside' links, glowing words to represent runes), and the way that each character has a unique reaction to each item you carry.

+Polish: Very complex and smooth.
+Descriptive: Rich writing
-Interactivity: While there are some clues, it felt mostly like searching over and over for the right person to talk to.
+Emotional impact: It was unsettling
-Would I play again? It was good for a short game, but I think once is enough.

If you enjoyed Bring Me A Head!...