A Papal Summons, or The Church Cat

by Bitter Karella

The pope -- the holy father himself! -- has summoned you to Rome for a personal audience. But the Vatican is a massive, bustling city, full of twisting avenues and winding corridors and so many oubliettes, so what are you chances that you'll ever find the pope's office somewhere in this edifice?

This is a grotesque camp horror story inspired by the works of Franz Kafka and Kobo Abe. It contains content that is not appropriate for minor or sensitive players.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2021
IFID: F8A3833D-B0D8-44B7-BC67-8D448961B5F6
TUID: so5unoij7zeffjbo

Entrant - 27th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2021)

Short Twine game about the emptiness of medieval Catholicism... I think?, October 19, 2021
by RadioactiveCrow (Irving, TX)
Related reviews: Less than 1 hour

This is a short Twine game in which you play a priest, apparently during the construction of St. Peter's Basilica at the Vatican, with a summons to see the Pope. You have a cat that is given to quoting the most head-scratching, out-of-context Bible verses in a human voice when prompted.

You have to work your way through the Vatican and find the Pope to fulfill your long journey and answer the summons. Along the way a lot of dark, weird, unexplained sh-t happens. Not sure what else there is to say beyond that.

I think the author was trying to commentate on the Catholic church of the era in question, or perhaps the church in general. But I'm not sure. I'm not Catholic so perhaps I'm missing some context with which to interpret this game.

In the end I didn't get the message, if there was one, and didn't enjoy the game. Combined with a small handful of typos and this is a two-star game for me. YMMV.

Some doors are better left unopened, October 17, 2021
by Enrique Henestroza Anguiano (Oakland, California)

A short but sprawling journey, this piece enters the Vatican and delves into the depths of horror as a rural priest tries to get an audience with the Pope, but discovers a rotting institution in bureaucratic chaos instead.

The writing is pitch perfect—if it were a paperback, it would be unputdownable. I was engrossed by the evocative details, from the cat spewing increasingly horrific Bible passages to the vivid scenes of debauched religious fervor. I also enjoyed finding a fair amount of new content on a second play-through, which provided added nuance to the plot.

I did feel that the finale was oddly muted, which left me wondering if there might be a better ending just out of reach and I had simply made the wrong choices. On a second play-through, I got the same ending, and I was left wishing for a conclusion with a bit more impact.

If you enjoyed A Papal Summons, or The Church Cat...

People who like A Papal Summons, or The Church Cat also gave high ratings to these games:

Night Guard / Morning Star, by Astrid Dalmady
My mother made a deal. So here I am, working the night shift, alone with her work.

You are SpamZapper 3.1, by Leon Arnott
DISTINGUISH TRUTH AND SCAMS IN OVER 130 UNIQUE EMAILS • PROTECT THE INBOX FROM URBAN LEGENDS • EXCHANGE WITTY REPARTEE WITH YOUR PLUGIN COWORKERS • CROSS SWORDS WITH A DEADLY EMAIL WORM • LEARN WAY TOO MUCH ABOUT YOUR USER'S FRIENDS

Bogeyman, by Elizabeth Smyth
You can go home when you learn to be good.

This is version 2 of this page, edited by Zape on 2 October 2021 at 6:52am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item