How it was then and how it is now

by Pseudavid

Who would be asked to travel to the center of an apocalypse? Two smart people walking to the center of many disasters, including the disaster they made for themselves.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2021
Development System: Ink
TUID: ircyrh8j1bj3zq8w

Entrant - 27th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2021)

Escape before the polyhedrons get you, October 17, 2021
by Enrique Henestroza Anguiano (Oakland, California)

This game tells the story of an abstract race against time where the protagonist and his on-again, off-again partner try to hold off an impending apocalypse of geometric objects while also dealing with their own unresolved issues

I like the disorienting effect of the different elements: visuals that donít seem to match up with the options provided (questioning the playerís senses), dialogue choices that often donít have the desired effect on Clara, and snippets of flashback that only start to make sense after playing for a while or on replay.

While I got a bit of new dialogue on multiple replays, it didnít appear that my actions had much of an effect on the overall flow of the narrative or the ending. The piece was also so abstract that it was tough to understand or become fully invested in the relationship or the intriguing setting.

Weird and surreal story about two former lovers at the end of the world, October 7, 2021
by RadioactiveCrow (Irving, TX)
Related reviews: About 30 minutes

At least I think I got the info in the title right, though honestly I might not be understanding the story correctly. You play one member of a former couple, forced to work together again (and clearly still with feelings for each other) near some kind of geometric apocalypse(?). As far as surreal stories go, this one definitely has more substance and polish than the others that I've played for IFComp 2021 so far. Still though, I didn't have much clue what was going on. I didn't have any connection to the story and only a minor connection to the characters. This is another story that I feel was written primarily so the author could write it, not so others could read it.

Just like with this author's IFComp game from last year (which I enjoyed more than this game), they try some interesting things with the mechanics/visuals. In this case it is blurring some of the text. I feel that might have been more effective when used sparingly, perhaps as an indicator that the characters mind was wandering. Instead it was used for whole sentences, and even one of the choices. Already frustrated by my inability to understand what was going on, I didn't much care for not being able to make a choice because of the blurred text.

In the end I didn't care for it. YMMV.

This is version 2 of this page, edited by Zape on 2 October 2021 at 7:58pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item