Very Vile Fairy File

- kierlani, July 2, 2020

Terribly tricky, December 27, 2019
by Stian
Related reviews: IFComp 2019

I quickly realised I wasnít going to get far in Very Vile Fairy File without the walkthrough. Almost all of the interaction in the game consists of coming up with a suitable alliterative rhyme. I can absolutely acclaim an admirable alliteration (with or without a rhyming sensation), but managing this was beyond me. In the required rhymes were old English, American slang and several words I had never heard. For those who feel they are up to a serious rhyming challenge, the game does feature an innovative help system, and for those who donít, itís still worth playing through with a walkthrough. Very Vile Fairy File is funny, clever, and well implemented.

- AKheon (Finland), November 18, 2019

- Karl Ove Hufthammer (Bergen, Norway), November 17, 2019

An enjoyable rhyming-based game, November 10, 2019

Andrew Schultz makes games by taking a wordplay idea and finding as many examples of it as possible, then building a game around that list.

Sometimes, it feels a little forced. Some times, it feels great. This is one of those great times, at least for me.

I'm not coming in looking for a cohesive narrative. I'm coming in to have pure puzzling fun that hurts your brain.

I would rank this game up around with Shuffling Around, one of my favorites, but a little below Threediopolis, my absolute favorite.

Good fun!, October 15, 2019
by IngridWolf
Related reviews: IF Comp 2019

This game is the first parser Iíve ever played, so it felt rather different, but engaging instantly.

You proceed by picking and typing in a rhyme to something on the passage. Iím glad I had a walkthrough, otherwise Iíd have found this game extremely difficult to play, considering that English is not my first language. But, having it, I could simply enjoy the smoothly-flowing and humorous narrative.

The multiple locations and characters are depicted with great imagination. The slightly absurd nature of this world, and its reliance on word play, is reminding of Alice in Wonderland.

At times I laughed out loud, but there also was a serious message hidden between the lines that I liked just as much. A top rating well-deserved!

- jaclynhyde, October 9, 2019