The good people

- Ann Hugo (Canada), December 3, 2020

Conversation-powered living poem, August 3, 2020
by verityvirtue (London)
Related reviews: melancholy
This is a conversation-powered, living poem in which two people uncover a village previously submerged by a dam. As they uncover layers of the physical landscapes, so they also uncover the landscapes of the PC's childhood and family.

Everything is fragmentary, forgotten, which creates a sort of creeping horror. The unpredictable visual design adds to that.

The game has a striking use of images throughout, and whether by design or browser variability, the text design occasionally looks buggy - text sometimes appears in unexpected places, or laid out in odd ways. Here I chose to see that as part of the effect of the game.

The Good People was intriguing, not least because it scratched my particular itch of exploring abandoned landscapes and memories.

- wisprabbit (Sheffield, UK), January 8, 2020

Datalexic
Beautifully written and designed, emotional, and very personal
The deftness of the writing, mythology, story structure, and themes, in concert with the beautiful use of interactivity and visual design, make this my favorite piece of the competition.

You wrote this review - Revise it | Add a comment

These Heterogenous Tasks
Not like anything else
This is a work which is not like anything else, and which aims to approach IF as literature, both of which I appreciate a hell of a lot.

You wrote this review - Revise it | Add a comment

- AKheon (Finland), November 18, 2019

- Karl Ove Hufthammer (Bergen, Norway), November 17, 2019

- Sobol (Russia), November 17, 2019

- necromancer, November 16, 2019

- Jacob MacDonald, October 22, 2019

- jaclynhyde, October 9, 2019

- Pegbiter (Malmö, Sweden), October 7, 2019

An artistic Twine game with images and mythological-based story, October 1, 2019
This game grew on me over time.

Like Pseudavid's previous work, this game is a highly-polished Twine game that focuses on time, place, and interpersonal relationships.

In The Good People, you play as a person descended from the inhabitants of an ancient village which was covered by a reservoir, and which has now only recently emerged. The exact setting escapes me; it seems like Native Americans in the Southwest due to the reservoir setting, but could also be Irish perhaps (?) or South American.

You've started a relationship with a travel writer who is of a different race from you, and you feel alienated from your past and your people.

This slice-of-life opening is pretty good but a little too 'high art' for me. It takes a sharp turn in the middle, though, that resonated strongly with me.

Uses unusual text placements, graphic images, occasional slow text and text animations.