Inside the Facility

- Kinetic Mouse Car, July 31, 2022

- Titania Lowe, July 19, 2022

- Vulturous, May 18, 2022

Sci-fi research facility, May 18, 2022

This is largely a treasure hunt style game where you must determine where to take your current item, though there are also more complicated puzzles. It takes place in a sci-fi research facility with teleportation rooms and invisibility labs and amusing NPCs.

My only complaint is that the navigation starts to get tedious after a while as the map keeps getting larger. My ideas for dealing with this would be: include a "go to" command; include a graphical interactive map in the game; use a smaller map and reuse the rooms more.

- fuchs, May 14, 2022

Limited commands make you think outside the box, December 16, 2021

The only commands in this game are moving, looking at the room description, checking your inventory, and waiting. The fact that you can't inspect things more closely or take objects that seem useful can be frustrating when you're used to having more control, but it's somehow funny to passively infiltrate this facility by simply wandering around. I definitely recommend making yourself a map-- something I pretty much never do, but this game practically requires it.

- Thomas Insel, October 22, 2021

- TheBoxThinker, September 4, 2021

- Lance Campbell (United States), August 17, 2021

- flamingomonkey, May 13, 2021

- Zape, April 22, 2021

- daybreak, May 10, 2020

- Sammel, March 21, 2020

Incredible, March 16, 2020

What an absolutely amazing game. I played the entire things - trophy and all - in one sitting. I loved it. It made me laugh, it was clever, and the puzzles were great. What a simple concept executed in a brilliant way.

- nf, January 16, 2020

- Ry (Philippines), September 30, 2019

- Tarienna, July 5, 2019

Reviewology Lab - clearance required, June 19, 2019

Described as a 'limited parser game', Inside the Facility gives you just six possible actions - NORTH, SOUTH, EAST, WEST, LOOK, and Z (WAIT). My first impression on hearing this was, "So the whole game is just wandering around? That's pretty shallow and restricted gameplay, right?" Wrong. Very wrong.

I spent the next two or so hours enjoying myself so much that all of my initial skepticism was replaced by respect and quite a good deal of affection. I was in my own little world, writing down room names and sketching out travel routes, making notes about keycard colors and puzzle solutions, all the while trying to figure out how to explore deeper and further into the place.

The setting is simple enough - a huge facility full of quirky rooms in which they do SCIENCE! - but there's a lot of character and depth there: the handyman who is too distracted by you to do his job; the hapless security recruits and their exasperated sergeant; a gardener who has mastered the art of strategic avoidance... yes, it's all 'wandering about' but what a wander it is. Clever puzzles and even cleverer humour make all the difference.

You're even explicitly advised to make a map and there's a handy print-out for you to use and everything - and believe me when I tell you that you should definitely do that, else some of the puzzles will be a bit of a nightmare.

Inside the Facility proves that you don't need too much complexity in terms of commands to have satisfying puzzles and a deep interactive experience. Five flasks of hypercalderic Borsch fluid.

- elias67, April 5, 2019

- Stian, January 11, 2019

- mrfrobozzo, November 27, 2018

My Welcome back to Interactive Fiction!, August 30, 2018

I used to play lot of this back in the late 90's and it had somehow fallen off my radar until I found an old "Z" game stored in a forgotten folder and that set me searching for any new games and I came across this. Loved this game - in particular the simplicity of the commands and the map which had me compulsively playing until every last square was filled in. This will definitely appeal to people that like order in their lives (or who are a bit challenged to remember where they they have been and where they are going) as filling in the map and being able to refer back to it to navigate was very satisfying. The puzzles are good, most I got but some I had to glance at the walk through to get a hint where to start. My only negative was that some puzzles seemed like the only way to solve them was random guesses and going around in circles until you struck lucky. The characters you meet along the way are interesting, worth waiting a while in some rooms to see what they will say. I also played "Wand" by the same author - but this was my favorite! ... for now anyway....

- wisprabbit (Sheffield, UK), August 23, 2018