Competition version.
Facility Mapping Kit
A mapping template. Print this out so you can draw a map as you play.
To view this file, you need an Acrobat Reader for your system.

Inside the Facility

by Arthur DiBianca profile

Your friend Mike thinks no one can infiltrate THE FACILITY, but you're going to prove him wrong.

A light puzzle game. In the author's opinion, it's totally family-friendly.

(Make sure to look at the Facility Mapping Kit. It's not cheating -- it's intended for all players.)

First Publication Date: October 1, 2016
Development System: Inform
IFID: 0F60A706-8845-42CD-8264-D476C7F5C98D
TUID: stsdri5zh7a4i5my

Nominee, Best Puzzles; Nominee, Best Individual Puzzle - 2016 XYZZY Awards

13th Place overall; 1st Place, Miss Congeniality Award - 22nd Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2016)

46th Place - Interactive Fiction Top 50 of All Time (2019 edition)

The Breakfast Review
"Inside the Facility" is very much a game rather than a story, a puzzle to be figured out. And it's been pared way down so that the only commands you really need are the four cardinal directions and the ability to wait a turn. On the one hand, this severely limits your ability to interact with the world; on the other hand, this is a game and those are the rules, and it's really more a case of redefining the way the game is played. Not "less", just "different".

Clever, funny, unashamed puzzler with reduced parser, November 16, 2016
by Robin Johnson (Edinburgh, Scotland)

The only commands this game accepts are NORTH, EAST, SOUTH, WEST, WAIT, LOOK and STATUS, with actions like picking things up and giving them to NPCs triggered automatically. This is surprisingly effective, and the game contains a variety of puzzles of different types: lock and key, darkness, bribery, manipulate the NPC, figure out the machine, navigation.

I was initially put off by the request to print off a map to fill in as you go, but found it added to the fun, like solving a crossword, and there are certainly puzzles that would have been both harder and less enjoyable without it.

The author knows how to use brevity of writing to good effect with such a large map, longer descriptions would have made the game more tiring. But they managed to squeeze every drop of clarity and characterisation out of the one-sentence descriptions. Some characters made me laugh or feel sorry for them, and some I took an instant dislike to.

Completionists, beware!, August 7, 2017
by Cory Roush (Ohio)

Only kidding - completionists will probably love this game, unless they have something important to do and are on a strict deadline. In that case, put this game off until later.

The basic premise is that 130 rooms make up the Facility, and your job is to discover each and every one. At first it seems simple, until you run into the Facility's security clearance system, which only grants you access to new parts of the Facility once you've found a keycard of the corresponding color. From there, the game is a series of fetch quests and minor puzzles, but it's hilarious and cute and the characters, even though you can't interact with them outside of a very limited set of actions, are so endearing.

There's not a lot of story, at least not an overarching one. But about halfway through the game I realized that I didn't need a story, I was just eagerly waiting to fill in the next box on the paper map I was playing along with. (Don't skip out on that part - half the fun is in filling in the squares and eventually gazing down at a fully developed map.)

Incredible, March 16, 2020

What an absolutely amazing game. I played the entire things - trophy and all - in one sitting. I loved it. It made me laugh, it was clever, and the puzzles were great. What a simple concept executed in a brilliant way.

If you enjoyed Inside the Facility...