Walkthrough and maps

A Flustered Duck

by Jim Aikin profile

2009

You play as Elliott, a pig-boy. It starts when Granny Grabby orders you to get Mabel the duck down from the roof. You try, but a series of unfortunate events ensue ending with Mabel swallowing the diamond ring you planned to give to Suzette! You need to get that ring back, but how?

First Publication Date: March 31, 2009
IFID: 67D1F34C-9057-421D-99D5-5EB862F4909B
TUID: g4cgwblf9pzr91u

1st Place - Spring Thing 2009

You may be only a pig-boy, but you know your ducks., May 11, 2013

You play Elliott, a harried farmhand at Granny Grabby's farm. Her prized duck Mabel has swallowed the engagement ring you intended to surprise your girlfriend with this evening - you must get it back! With the help of your favourite pig Bessie, you will embark on an enjoyable load of puzzles and fetch-quests, that range from the simple to the slightly obtuse, but all full of this light, quirky humour.

The lightness does perhaps disguise that it is possible to put yourself in an unwinnable position without the game immediately telling you. However, these occasions seem rare, and with careful reading you should be able to avoid this (if the narrative voice seems iffy about your action, consider its necessity before continuing on). The inventory system is also rather inefficient - while the game will automatically shift items into a container when your hands are full, it then ceases to recognise you as 'having' these items, and you will have to take them again before attempting to use them. This is a minor quibble, however, and doesn't really get in the way of the fun.

In all, this is a great little comic puzzler, full of the joys of spring (and things).

If you enjoyed A Flustered Duck...

Other members recommend these games for people who like A Flustered Duck, or gave both high ratings:

Lost Pig, by Admiral Jota
Pig lost! Boss say that it Grunk fault. Say Grunk forget about closing gate. Maybe boss right. Grunk not remember forgetting, but maybe Grunk just forget. -- IFComp 2007 blurb

Alice Aforethought, by Hanon Ondricek
I need your help. I mean, you're the one who is supposed to talk me out of things before I do anything stupid. Time has stopped moving, and that might turn out to have been my fault. I didn't mean to do it. You must believe me. I'll...

Floatpoint, by Emily Short
It is night on this side of the planet. Settled areas are lit: a jagged crescent in the tropics, lining the inland sea. The bright splatter along the top of the curve is Tanhua, as bright from space as New York. The north continent is...

A Flustered Duck appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Excellent IF Games With Unfair Puzzles by Canalboy
A Selection Of Enjoyable IF That Contain(s) Ridiculous Puzzles. All the games mentioned are enjoyable to me and of a very high standard generally.

My new walkthroughs for March 2019 by David Welbourn
On Monday, March 26, 2019, I published new walkthroughs for the games listed below! Some of these were paid for by my wonderful patrons at Patreon. Please consider supporting me to make even more new walkthroughs for works of interactive...

The following polls include votes for A Flustered Duck:

Games about grannies by baf
Recently, a representative of Ubisoft attracted some attention by saying, about an upcoming game with a grandmother as a protagonist, "Nobody has dared to do anything with a granny before, I think." Obviously he was only really speaking...

Trying to find a good comedy. by H. W. Wiliams
I'm hoping to find a good comedy IF title. I've been away for a while and want a good laugh before I head back to work. Any suggestions?

Birds in IF by Wendymoon
What games can you think of with birds in them? What's the bird? Is it important to the game?

This is version 2 of this page, edited by David Welbourn on 25 March 2019 at 6:53pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item