Requires a Glulx interpreter. Visit IFWiki for download links.

Coloratura

by Lynnea Glasser profile

2013

Stolen away by apathetic Blind Ones, your only desire is to return to your Cellarium and the Song of the Universe. They should understand. You shall make them to understand.

First Publication Date: September 29, 2013
Forgiveness Rating: Polite
IFID: 98B2F638-F1F7-4FD9-93BB-56BC86FB2C07
TUID: g0fl99ovcrq2sqzk

1st Place overall; 1st Place, Miss Congeniality Award - 19th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2013)

Winner, Best Game; Nominee, Best Writing; Nominee, Best Story; Nominee, Best Setting; Winner, Best Puzzles; Winner, Best Individual Puzzle; Nominee, Best Individual NPC; Winner, Best Individual PC; Nominee, Best Implementation; Nominee, Best Supplemental Materials - 2013 XYZZY Awards

6th Place - Interactive Fiction Top 50 of All Time (2015 edition)

36th Place - Interactive Fiction Top 50 of All Time (2019 edition)

A mid-length sci-fi game from an alien perspective, February 3, 2016

Coloratura is one of the greatest sci-fi IF of all time. In this game, you play as a being utterly different from us that encounters a situation it has never experienced before.

The game has all of the usual commands, plus some new commands, the most interesting of which are color-based commands. Different colors signify different moods or ideas.

The puzzles are extremely rewarding, and fit into the plot exactly. The NPC's are well-implemented, and the nature of the game makes you feel as if the parser is not limiting conversation at all, only the world itself is.

I didn't really need a map for this game. It took a couple of hours to play. The game's biggest strength is its ability to put you in the shoes of someone completely different from you, to make you really feel like you are them.

I only wish the game had lasted a bit longer. But this may have made the puzzles less cohesive.

An excellent science fiction game, September 22, 2020

Coloratura is an excellent science fiction game.

In a sense, the game gives you two stories in one. Foregrounded is the story of the alien PC, who drives most of the events in Coloratura. But the humans on board the ship experience the alien's actions very differently, and therein lies the second story. The way that Coloratura allows you to experience these two stories simultaneously is, well, brilliant.

I have mixed feelings about the puzzles in Coloratura, though. The puzzles are fairly easy, but that's not because the solutions to the problems you face are naturally apparent. In fact, these solutions are generally not actions that would easily come to mind at all. However, the puzzles are made easy by the game repeatedly hinting at what you should do next. I find that off-putting with puzzles, and it affected my enjoyment of the game.

To be fair, though, there's a quite difficult design problem to be solved here: A game with an alien PC is going to be played by humans who have no good intuitive sense of the actions that alien PC is easily capable of taking. To avoid a game with an "other" PC being unfairly difficult, then, such a game has to slowly teach the PC's abilities to the player. Coloratura does this some - but, in my opinion, not enough.

Still, this is a relatively minor point. Coloratura is a great game, and its greatness lies in the tension it creates between the story of the alien - who wants something basic, understandable, and just - and the story of the humans who experience the consequences of the alien's actions as horrific.

I have waited forever for a game like this, May 9, 2019

While I agree with the bulk of the reviews already singing (see what I did there?) the praises of this game, I still feel compelled to add further acclaim for the great attention to the parser. I found run-ins with default "don't know that verb" error messages to be surprisingly uncommon. This game does a great job of telling what is essentially a horror story from a non-horror perspective, making a somewhat "The Thing"-esque alien antagonist relatable and sympathetic. If you, like me, have ever wanted to play some sort of pacifist psychic ooze from the depths of the ocean - well, I'm surprised there was more than one person who wanted that, but you should absolutely play this. (Spoiler - click to show)That the author of the game even intuited that you might want to reclaim the lost little piece of your body in the science lab, and lets you do so, was, despite being a tiny touch, a moment that won my admiration.

If you enjoyed Coloratura...

Other members recommend these games for people who like Coloratura, or gave both high ratings:

JELLY, by Tom Lento, Chandler Groover
Young love in the Lonely Valley.

After-Words, by fireisnormal
Resolve problems. Open Gates. Free Skycity. Go home. A game where you explore a surreal floating city, in which all room descriptions, lines of dialogue, item descriptions and action text are a maximum of two words.

SwordQuest, by Roger Pender
While passing through Camelot, you learn that disaster has befallen the kingdom. Morgan le Fay, the sorceress and King Arthur's half-sister, has stolen his magical sword, Excalibur! This adventure is part of the Eamon universe. Like all...

Coloratura appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Interactive Fiction Competition Winners by RichCheng
These are the games that won First Place honours in the IFComp each year.

2013 XYZZY Awards Nominees by Molly
Here are the nominees for the 2013 XYZZY Awards, roughly by order of appearance on the finalist page. Note that this list does not cover the Best Technological Development Award.

2020 Alternative Top 100 by Denk
(Created 24-Jul-2020) The purpose of this list is not to compete with the IFDB Top 100 but to provide an alternative view, which makes sense for some games. Philosophy: 1. If a game only has 5-star ratings, it is because the game hasn't...

The following polls include votes for Coloratura:

Good sci-fi games by IFDent
I'm looking for a good science fiction game (sci-fi game) for example, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Infocom. Can't get enough sci-fi text adventures.

For Your Consideration: Games from 2013 that should be nominated for the XYZZY Awards by Molly
There were a lot of great games released in 2013, and now that the XYZZYs are coming up, it seems like a very good idea to take a poll of all the games from last year people would like to see nominated. The management has asked that we...

PC's personality integrated with the story by JasonMel
I would like to be able to recommend to someone many examples of interactive fiction in which the player character is far from a cipher or an everyman or everywoman, but is instead a character with a definite personality within a game...

This is version 8 of this page, edited by Dan Fabulich on 1 May 2021 at 10:31pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item