Hint Guide
To view this file, you need an Acrobat Reader for your system.

And Then You Come to a House Not Unlike the Previous One

by B.J. Best

Title: Infinite Adventure

Year: 1986

Genre: Adventure

Summary: Wander through an apparently infinite number of spooky mansions, solving a basic puzzle in each one.

ForgottenGames.com rating: ★ ★ ★

First Publication Date: October 1, 2021
IFID: B2D54929-CBFF-4316-A438-4EDB315BC6E9
TUID: bou58ao7l4eg5z66

Makes reference to Infinite Adventure, by A. Scotts

Entrant - 27th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2021)

Nostalgic, surprising, multilayered, October 11, 2021

I really appreciated this game as a straightforward narrative, as a reflection on IF nostalgia, and as a multilayered mystery to unravel. The story is beautifully recursive, and the way the gameplay ties itself in knots is just fun. The descriptions and parser responses were entertaining and full of detail. Certain events felt slightly uncomfortable, but resolved in ways that made the conclusion even more satisfying—at least it felt like a conclusion, though it seems very possible I still have more to discover.

A game about playing games and young friendship, October 16, 2021

This is a complex game where you play computer games on a computer inside the computer that you're now viewing. While you do that, someone in real life (inside the game) comments on what you're doing inside the game (inside the game).

There are multiple games and multiple things in real life, and elements transfer from one to another (kind of like IFDB spelunking).

You are a teenage boy whose best friend (a girl named Riley) is moving away, and in a partially-packed house you are spending your last few hours together playing old adventure games on a computer.

Meta verbs are disabled; I opened up the game one day and then came back to it a week later and was shocked I couldn't RESTART. Then I tried it on a different device and the first thing I saw was a mention to use EXIT to 'truly' restart. UNDO is disabled, as well.

This game reminds me of several games of Adam Cadre. The meta-nature of playing a game and a game within a game with self-aware NPCs reminds me of Endless, Nameless. The piecing together of a story and focus on simple puzzles with 'aha' moments and emotional interactions reminds me of Photopia. And the inclusion of strip poker (not my favorite element) reminds me of many of Adam Cadre's works.

Overall, this is a great game. It's fresh, easy to pick up, sophisticated, and ties in elements of narrative IF and classic parser IF.

It has a companion game, Infinite Adventure, playable only using a DOS emulator. That is just an endless series of simple fetch quests. Interestingly, this game is also essentially a long series of fetch quests, making them mechanically very similar and story-wise very dissimilar.

I think the game worked for me on an emotional level. I like almost everything about this game, actually, but I don't think I'll replay it because the strip poker level on an old DOS computer brings back bad childhood memories. However, I'll probably replay it for some 'best games of the last ten years' article, so I'll still give it 5 stars.

Nostalgic game with a bit of emotion, October 7, 2021

Going into this game, I really didn't know what to expect. I started playing it, going through the different games. I got stumped a few times, but didn't really want to use the walk-through. Instead, I did some work, played a short parser, and came back. I realized what happened and figured out the problem. I definitely recommend doing that, and trying every TALK TO option, because you won't be able to give people anything without hearing what they have to say. I didn't really understand the Infinity thing until thinking it over later, so I recommend playing through it twice, trying out different options and endings. The end of the 80s scenes got me a little emotional, and And Then You Come to a House Not Unlike the Previous One was overall a pretty cool game. Play-through- approx. 1 hour.

If you enjoyed And Then You Come to a House Not Unlike the Previous One...

People who like And Then You Come to a House Not Unlike the Previous One also gave high ratings to these games:

Ghosterington Night, by Wade Clarke
Danger-filled Ghosterington Manor appears atop the same cliff each year on Samhain night. Hidden inside are the last four works of the dead bad poet Vigilance Ghosterington. Those four poems are worth a fortune, and you, famous...

The Orion Agenda, by Ryan Weisenberger
In this sci-fi story, you play as Capt. Jon Stark of SciCorps. You're monitoring a promising alien species on Orion 3 from orbit on Station One when the General gives you your first field assignment. Outpost 132 has gone silent. You and...

Suicide, by Dan Doyle III
Tonight's the night you are going to kill yourself. You walk into the bathroom, realizing that this is the last room you're ever going to be in alive. The thought is both terrifying and liberating. This is a one-room game where you play...

This is version 6 of this page, edited by Dan Fabulich on 18 October 2021 at 4:45am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item