You are Standing at a Crossroads

You are Standing at a Crossroads

by Astrid Dalmady profile

You are Standing at a Crossroads is a short Twine story about being lost, being changed, and being stagnant.

First Publication Date: October 31, 2014
TUID: 5fs96f2u2m6a2443

Memorable creepy Twine game with great use of repetition, July 19, 2020

At the time I first played it, this was the only Twine game I'd played through multiple times. It takes less than 20 minutes to play, with some very mild puzzles. The genre is creepy horror (as opposed to grossout or Lovecraftian).

The writing is well done. Of the four main areas, I felt one was weaker than the others, but on the second playthrough, I found it even creepier than the others.

The reason I enjoy this game is something others may not care about. I enjoy it because it almost feels ritualistic, like a Greek mystery play about life. The format, the pacing, the repetition, is very successful, in a way different than Porpentine's use of the same elements. I see myself revisiting this game every now and then for the fun of it. Others may have different responses.

The ground shifts under your feet, August 21, 2017
by verityvirtue (London)
Related reviews: melancholic, phlegmatic

You are standing at a crossroads. Wherever you go, you will end up at a crossroads.

The writing is memorable: evocative language, unsettling imagery. Visit a location twice, and it opens up. Enter. Participate. Maybe, finally, you'll discover where you are. Some locations recall childhood - a playground; a zoo - but all are deserted. There is a semblance of life, but you never get to see it for yourself.

Quiet piano music, links which set the pace and mutable text illustrate a place which changes only when you're not looking, which constantly keeps the ground uneven under your feet.

In the pattern of my father's long, long legs, Crossroads presents itself as an unsettling, low-interactivity twine. As dynamic fiction, one tends to ask, would this work as static fiction?

Perhaps not. Not without a way to set a reader's expectations, and let the reader discover how they might be broken.

If you enjoyed You are Standing at a Crossroads...

People who like You are Standing at a Crossroads also gave high ratings to these games:

Demon Mark: A Russian Saga, by Lorraine Fryer and Vladimir Barash
Call upon the power of your cursed Demon Mark to battle dragons, witches, and an undead army! Beware: each time you use it, the Mark grows stronger. "Demon Mark: A Russian Saga" is a 200,000-word interactive fantasy novel by Vlad Barash...

Tristam Island, by Hugo Labrande
After crashing your plane at sea, you end up drifting to a small island, with not much to survive. You explore, and find out the island was inhabited, years ago. But why did the people leave? And why is there a fence around the white...

Singular, by Gritfish
An attempt to see how far I could push the 300 word limit Each passage contains one word No character creation No pronouns No punctuation No pictures Use your imagination

You are Standing at a Crossroads appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Games that I couldn't put down by MathBrush
These are games that for some reason or over I just couldn't stop playing and thinking about. There are no specific reasons given. These aren't necessarily my favorite games; one reason they are pageturner is that the pacing is good and...

Great "white hat" horror games by genre by MathBrush
This list does not include games intended to disgust or to make you personally feel evil. The focus is on games where good overcomes evil, or that just make you think. That is what I mean by "white hat" games. Games like Vespers or...

Favorite Weird/Surreal Games by thecanvasrose
An ongoing list of bizarro, out of the box, quirky and 'who would ever think to make this' games which force one to question their own sanity, if just a little bit.

The following polls include votes for You are Standing at a Crossroads:

The game(s) that changed your mind about Twine by MathBrush
I've seen many people discuss their feelings for Twine. Many of them say that they didn't think it was a 'real' platform at first, but then certain games changed them (see, for instance, the commentary in "IF is Dead. Long Live IF") For...

Choice-Based Games with a Spoke and Hub Structure by J. J. Guest
After playing a couple of the Fabled Lands gamebooks, I noticed they use a Spoke and Hub structure. I'm interested in choice-based IF games which use a similar structure. Sam Kabo Ashwell's blog post "Standard Patterns in Choice-Based...

This is version 4 of this page, edited by Zape on 8 February 2021 at 5:33pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item