Last revision
Initial version
As included in the IFComp bundle.

BYOD

by n-n profile

You are starting your IT internship. The details you got from the university are scarce: just the address and the date (today).

First Publication Date: October 1, 2020
Current Version: Release 1 / Serial number 201207
IFID: 6C50F661-301C-4949-B0AD-BBC8614E9941
TUID: aywe0eo0424tr92e

English translation of BYOD [es], by n-n

49th Place (tie) - 26th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2020)

Narrativium
"How about a nice game of chess?". Later. Let's play BYOD instead. Hack the world, 90s cracking-scene style.

Bitterly Indifferent
BYOD offers a tight, carefully defined experience [...]. I wish it had put a similar amount of effort into telling an engaging story.

An Exercise for the Reader
BYOD is a game that focuses on doing one thing, and it does that one thing quite well.

Through the Shattered Lens
BYOD is described as being a ďmicro interactive fictionĒ and thatís certainly the perfect way to put it.

The Stack
I could see making much more use of the system presented here ó or maybe itís good that it doesnít pad it out?

A very short but entertaining IT adventure, December 6, 2020
by Denk
Related reviews: Inform

This game starts out when you arrive on your first day as an IT intern at McKenzie & Lloyds. The game is quite original. I would spoil it if I say much more. I managed to find two different endings. Not sure if there are more, but I don't think so.

In the time of writing, there is a sort of "bug" if I play the included zblorb-file with Windows Frotz: When the game begins there is a quote. You then press a key to continue but then the first three sentences of the introduction are not displayed. However, all I had to do was to start the online version, read the first three lines there and then continue playing using Frotz. Thus it did not affect my rating. (EDIT: later I have found this to happen with other games too when using Windows Frotz. I have switched to Lectrote, which doesn't seem to have that problem)

Also, the online version has a very cool presentation: An apparent DOS-screen where you can click on seven different files, with some related but not required information and a nice demo in the style of old commodore 64/Amiga demos.

The puzzles and game mechanics are fine. This game is quite short, but enjoyable as long as it lasts. If you don't mind short games, I can recommend this one.

PS: A note on my ratings: (Spoiler - click to show)On IFDB I rate games by how much I enjoy them, not for how long I am enjoying them. Thus short games can get 5 stars if I am highly entertained as long as it lasts. This is in contrast to how I rate games in IFComp, where the longer games get higher ratings if I am equally entertained (based on the two first hours).

Short and cool hacking game, December 2, 2020
by Stian
Related reviews: ifcomp 2020

BYOD is a very short parser game, with an estimated playthrough of about 10 minutes, but it packs a lot of coolness into that time. Coming complete with an .nfo and an e-zine, this game puts you in the shoes of a humble hacker and lets you save the day. The feelies are fantastic, the hacking is elegant, and the implementation is flawless. Great stuff!

A small one-room game centered around a cool tech interface, October 5, 2020

I tested this game. When I tested it, it didnít have its flashy index page, which I thought was pretty cool, especially the worldbuilding elements and the cool animation. I had trouble at first though because I thought it was text-entry and not links.

The game itself is small and simple, a one-room game. The main feature here is that you have an app on your cell-phone that lets you connect to items by their ID and manipulate them through reading and writing. There are multiple endings, one normal and one which lets you be a hero.

There are a few niceties missing here and there (youíre told that everyone is working, looking at their screens, but canít X SCREEN) but given that I was a tester I canít really complain, can I?

If you like this game, you should try Michael Robertsí immense game Return to Ditch Day which includes a lot of testing ports and running cable to access devices. Other games for gadget/tech people/fans of oldschool interfaces include Roverís Day Out and Final Exam.

+Polish. The cool file system makes up for the implementation.
-Descriptiveness. The game is pretty sparsely written, and most objects described are generic.
+Interactivity. Great system!
+Emotional impact. Mostly wonder for the phone access.
-Would I play again? Doesn't have a ton of replay value, but that's okay.

If you enjoyed BYOD...