Competition version.
Requires a Z-Code interpreter. Visit IFWiki for download links.
Facility Mapping Kit
A mapping template. Print this out so you can draw a map as you play.
To view this file, you need an Acrobat Reader for your system.

Inside the Facility

by Arthur DiBianca profile

Your friend Mike thinks no one can infiltrate THE FACILITY, but you're going to prove him wrong.

A light puzzle game. In the author's opinion, it's totally family-friendly.

(Make sure to look at the Facility Mapping Kit. It's not cheating -- it's intended for all players.)

First Publication Date: October 1, 2016
Development System: Inform
IFID: 0F60A706-8845-42CD-8264-D476C7F5C98D
TUID: stsdri5zh7a4i5my

Nominee, Best Puzzles; Nominee, Best Individual Puzzle - 2016 XYZZY Awards

13th Place overall; 1st Place, Miss Congeniality Award - 22nd Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2016)

46th Place - Interactive Fiction Top 50 of All Time (2019 edition)

The Breakfast Review
"Inside the Facility" is very much a game rather than a story, a puzzle to be figured out. And it's been pared way down so that the only commands you really need are the four cardinal directions and the ability to wait a turn. On the one hand, this severely limits your ability to interact with the world; on the other hand, this is a game and those are the rules, and it's really more a case of redefining the way the game is played. Not "less", just "different".

Clever, funny, unashamed puzzler with reduced parser, November 16, 2016
by Robin Johnson (Edinburgh, Scotland)

The only commands this game accepts are NORTH, EAST, SOUTH, WEST, WAIT, LOOK and STATUS, with actions like picking things up and giving them to NPCs triggered automatically. This is surprisingly effective, and the game contains a variety of puzzles of different types: lock and key, darkness, bribery, manipulate the NPC, figure out the machine, navigation.

I was initially put off by the request to print off a map to fill in as you go, but found it added to the fun, like solving a crossword, and there are certainly puzzles that would have been both harder and less enjoyable without it.

The author knows how to use brevity of writing to good effect with such a large map, longer descriptions would have made the game more tiring. But they managed to squeeze every drop of clarity and characterisation out of the one-sentence descriptions. Some characters made me laugh or feel sorry for them, and some I took an instant dislike to.

Completionists, beware!, August 7, 2017
by Cory Roush (Ohio)

Only kidding - completionists will probably love this game, unless they have something important to do and are on a strict deadline. In that case, put this game off until later.

The basic premise is that 130 rooms make up the Facility, and your job is to discover each and every one. At first it seems simple, until you run into the Facility's security clearance system, which only grants you access to new parts of the Facility once you've found a keycard of the corresponding color. From there, the game is a series of fetch quests and minor puzzles, but it's hilarious and cute and the characters, even though you can't interact with them outside of a very limited set of actions, are so endearing.

There's not a lot of story, at least not an overarching one. But about halfway through the game I realized that I didn't need a story, I was just eagerly waiting to fill in the next box on the paper map I was playing along with. (Don't skip out on that part - half the fun is in filling in the squares and eventually gazing down at a fully developed map.)

A great exploration of how far you can go with a limited parser. In a lab., May 10, 2017
Related reviews: 2-10 hours

This game reminds me somehow of the old electronic devices you could get around the time of the NES that would play just one game, like Snake or other games. There were little, limited buttons, but they really did a lot with them.

This is the text version of that; you can just move N, E, S, W and Z. But this huge game exploits all of that. It can be finished in 2 hours with the walkthrough, but if you want to do it on your own, you need to do some exhaustive searching. Some of the truly unfair puzzles seem to be solvable if you just keep searching everything over and over again.

If you like this game, you should like DiBianca's other games. This was the number one game in the author's vote.

If you enjoyed Inside the Facility...

People who like Inside the Facility also gave high ratings to these games:

Endless, Nameless, by Adam Cadre
The first time I ever saw someone play a text adventure was in fifth grade. One of the sixth-graders didn't go to outdoor ed, and therefore spent the week in my fifth-grade classroom, playing Scott Adams's Impossible Mission on a TRS-80...

The Temple of Shorgil, by Arthur DiBianca
One day, travel guides will talk about this "masterpiece of the Pirothian architect Kitral" -- but only if you, the first person to visit it in over 1,000 years, can find out what's inside. (Puzzle-oriented and family friendly, with...

A Titanic Experience, by Will11
You know the story and have probably seen the film; now you can experience what the disaster was really like for those who were there.

Inside the Facility appears in the following Recommended Lists:

IFDB Top 100 by Pegbiter

Some of my favorite games by G. Faregan
In alphabetical order.

Find-all-the-rooms games by mg51
Usually short and contained, not particularly heavy on plot. But they definitely scratch a certain itch.

The following polls include votes for Inside the Facility:

Kid-Appropriate Games by Princessthe1st
I'm looking for games for middle-schoolers, that are hard and fun but still appropriate.

Achievements, catch them all and other stuff. by Xionix
Looking for some IF with achievements, like, collect the 50 golden coins, or if you type 20 wrong commands you get the newbie achievement, or if you type "use hat in head" you get the "IF hater-to-be" achievement, well you get the idea.

Games where you can't screw up by Pinstripe
Sometimes, when I'm playing a game, I spend more time juggling my save files than I do reading the text. I don't want to have to restart because I picked up the green rod instead of the clay jug (with apologies to Zarf). So I'm looking...

This is version 13 of this page, edited by Zape on 4 May 2021 at 10:34pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item