Limerick Quest

by Pace Smith profile

Adventure

"To Russia!" you boldly suggest.
"This riddle has got me obsessed.
We'll search 'till we're blind,
and loot what we find!
Let's go on a...

First Publication Date: October 1, 2020
IFID: 1502F9F7-F65A-403A-93EE-00B272F371E5
TUID: zd7xxfved7m061yh

4th Place - 26th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2020)

Amazing commitment to the limerick, fun puzzles, October 17, 2020
by RadioactiveCrow (Irving, TX)
Related reviews: 1-2 hours

First off, kudos to Nomad for writing his review as a limerick. I wrote a quick tweet in limerick form about this game during IFComp 2020 and that drained all the poetry I had in me for quite some time.

So this game is written entirely in limericks, and I mean entirely. The options menu, the credits screen, your inventory, all of it. And while that is cool by itself, the game would still fall a little flat if writing the limericks took all of the author's efforts and the story/gameplay itself was shallow. But that is not the case in this game. The story isn't particularly deep, but it is about the level of story you would expect in a short, parser/puzzle game of this length. However, the puzzles themselves are very interesting and easily on par with parser games of similar scope. And what really makes this game great is that, once again, the limericks aren't just a gimmick but are actively worked into the puzzles in very clever ways. Think of this game as the limerick equivalent of Counterfeit Monkey. Saying too much more would spoil it and I want you to discover the treasures this game has to offer on your own.

Awesome, October 4, 2020

Wow.

First glance: Artsy experiment
But then does the fun increment
It's a game of adventurous exploring
Scattered puzzles make sure it's not boring
For a Twine game it's really excellent

All Limericks, with several clever wordplay puzzle. , October 4, 2020

So the original Limerick Heist was something that had never really been seen in IFComp: a game consisting entirely of a constrained poetical form (in this case, a ton of limericks) while still telling a coherent story with items and actions.

It did very well, and defied usual voting patterns (by being one of the shortest Choice games to place in the top 10). It also picked up some well-deserved XYZZY nominations.

I wondered what this game would be like, and its receptions. Did people vote highly for the novelty only? Would a second game that has the same tricks as the first do as well?

Unfortunately, we won't find out because Limerick Quest manages to be just as novel and ingenious as the first game, improving substantially on the original formula.

In this game, you encounter several puzzles involving completing Limericks under various constraints. Your partner (her text in purple, yours in green) gives out generous hints on request. The constraints vary quite a bit, and include timed puzzles near the end (with very short times, so watch out if you use text-to-speech!)

The puzzles were really ingenious. I could see this picking up a 'best puzzles' nomination for next year. I was shocked to see this game get so much mileage out of, for instance, 100 identical objects labelled by number only.

So, I had fun. The visuals were great, with animated text, expressive use of color (especially with voices in unison) and background color changes.

+Polished: Very much so.
+Descriptive: The limericks are carrying all the weight here, and they do well.
+Interactivity: The puzzles were honestly very clever and enjoyable.
+Would I play again? Definitely.
+Emotional Impact: Fun and excitement.

If you enjoyed Limerick Quest...

Other members recommend these games for people who like Limerick Quest, or gave both high ratings:

Limerick Heist, by Pace Smith
Rule 1 is that no one gets iced. Rule 2: the loot's evenly sliced. There's only two rules. Now listen up, fools! We're pulling a...

Showdown at Willow Creek, by Alana Joli Abbott
Saddle up and defend the town of Willow Creek from nefarious outlaws and city slickers! It all starts when a rancherís daughter goes missing, and it ends at the showdown at Willow Creek, where greed, lust, science, and Mother Nature will...

The Isolato Incident, by Alan DeNiro
"We need to save the kingdom! But...where is the kingdom? What are its bounds? Can history be distilled? Why do ghosts feign friendliness? We will make a quest of questions!" [--blurb from Competition Aught-One]

This is version 9 of this page, edited by JTN on 9 December 2020 at 7:19pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item