How the monsters appeared in the Wasteland

by V Dobranov

“Moog, a new run! Quit fiddling with your irons and charge the batteries!” A printout of the waybill flutters down next to the big magnet I’m lying under. Releasing the wrench, which immediately sticks to the round plate, I grab the printout. Yep. Haul from the Enclaves to the Citadel, one refrigerated container, usual “do nots”: DO NOT raise the temperature, DO NOT open the cargo hull, DO NOT fall into the hands of the Nomads.

Another sunny day in the Wasteland. With a sigh, I scramble out from under the hovercraft and go to fight through the crowd at the charging station.

A chase on a post -apocalyptic Highway

First Publication Date: October 1, 2021
IFID: 77E4D446-33EC-45C9-B9AA-284FF5110477
TUID: w7opqo63ga8miv9r

Entrant - 27th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2021)

A post-apocalyptic road chase in Twine, October 9, 2021

This is a pretty fancy-looking Twine game with options for play in Russian or English.

It features custom CSS styling with changing background colors and a cool mechanic where you can click on an item and then on any earlier highlighted link to use the item there, giving it more robust puzzles.

You play as one of two people in a vehicle speeding down a highway carrying precious cargo. It has kind of a Star Wars feel but on land instead of space. Some people start chasing you and you have to take control of the guns.

This is a fast-paced game and I felt nervous for my character a lot, thinking I'd mess up, but I got through okay. The storytelling and writing is good, and I enjoyed it.

+Polish: Very good looking game
+Descriptiveness: Vivid world building
+Interactivity: I liked the two-layer puzzles and the good hints the game gives you
+Emotional impact: I felt nervous for my characters
-Would I play again? This is a very good game, but it's a bit overwhelming at time, because there are just so many options.

If you enjoyed How the monsters appeared in the Wasteland...

People who like How the monsters appeared in the Wasteland also gave high ratings to these games:

Kidnapped! A Royal Birthday, by Charles Battersby
Escape your captors…and endure your rescuers, but don't be late to the ball! When you are kidnapped, you must take charge of your rescue, and reclaim your rightful throne. Kidnapped! A Royal Birthday is a 158,000-word interactive comedy...

Bloody Raoul, by Caleb Wilson (as Ian Cowsbell)
Summer in Saturnine. What a night for knife punks!

The Mysterious Stories of Caroline, by Soham S
Years ago, orphan Henry Smyth was saved off the streets when he was adopted by Katherine Kellner - only to run away a few years later. Now, he’s finally made a decent life for himself. His world is turned upside down when he finds out...

This is version 2 of this page, edited by Zape on 2 October 2021 at 6:33pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item