Competition Version

16 Ways to Kill a Vampire at McDonalds

by Abigail Corfman

You're a vampire hunter on your night off.

You're getting a manicure, seeing a movie, and eating fast food.

But there's a vampire in this McDonalds.

If you don't do something, then in one hour it will eat the cashier.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2016
TUID: s8oklhvdqoo5dv4l

Referenced in Excellence Corporation: Roombat, by Aliizi

Winner, Best Puzzles; Nominee, Best Individual Puzzle - 2016 XYZZY Awards

5th Place - 22nd Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2016)

The Breakfast Review
Here, each key element of the vampire's seduction is observed and picked apart. It's almost a textbook explanation of what a pick-up artist might do and why he does it, broadcast to the world as a warning to prey everywhere. Or maybe a lesson for the next time you want to pick someone up at a McDonalds, in which case you better hope she hasn't played the same game. Or that she doesn't have a stake hidden up her sleeve. But seriously, thanks for the PSA. I feel now like this game is one of those fluff pieces with a gem of wisdom hidden in it.

Narrativium
It's a true puzzler, requiring lateral thinking and creative use of every element around you, of a type that generally doesn't exist in the choice-based arena, yet it retains all the instant accessibility of that format.

A delicious little game served hot with lots of ketchup, June 22, 2019
by deathbytroggles (Minneapolis, MN)

The first Twine game I played was a fantastic introduction to the system. About twenty years ago I played Will the Real Marjorie Hopkirk Please Stand Up?, a game about trying to find 100 ways to kill 100 clones. I was enthralled by the premise and disappointed it was a demo with only five solutions. So I was thrilled to finally get to play something similar that was less intimidating and more lighthearted.

I really appreciated that no significant knowledge of vampire literature is necessary as Corfman provides ample hints along the way if you're stuck. Some puzzles can be solved in multiple ways. And there's also plenty to look at and tinker with that explores the character outside of just her night shift job.

The structure isn't perfect; some playthroughs get repetitive (which was one of my criticisms of Galatea) and some paths of victory can be found by luck, though the game's brevity (and levity!) help alleviate these concerns. None of the puzzles are particularly difficult, but some are clever, and it never felt like I was mindlessly clicking on hypertext.

What shot my rating up to five stars was the game's three epilogues that provide the player with silly information about vampire stories, 16 more ways to kill a vampire (no puzzling required), and a Rashomon style section to view all your playthroughs via the eyes of one of the McDonald's employees. Corfman's writing is so delightful that I eagerly read everything and have now played this twice since its release.

A complex and well-clued twine game about killing vampires, May 10, 2017

This game is by the author of Open Sorcery, one of the best Twine games.

In this game, you play a side character in a Buffy the Vampire Slayer-type world. You need to kill a vampire!

The game is heavily location-and-inventory based, similar to the other high-rated IFComp 2016 games Cactus Blue Motel and the Shoe Dept.

There are a lot of clever tricks, like testing you on how well you know classic texts, useful items hid among unuseful items.

The cluing is excellent; any one ending will give you hints on the other 15, and options that you should have thought of but didn't are greyed out.

It does have an unnecessarily large amount of profanity, though.

Funny and Interesting , February 23, 2017

I don't usually like Twine games, but I liked this game. Partly for the humour- the tone of voice the PC is quirky and funny, and it's interesting to observe the interactions between the PC's and the NPC'S. Another reason I really liked this game is because of the replayability factor- there's a lot of different paths you can try out and it's interesting to see the different results. The puzzles are interesting but not unfair - most of them are fairly easy to figure out, and if you've beaten the game once you can see hints as to how to achieve the other endings. Overall it took me about 2 hours to play through all of the ends.

If you're interested in playing a quirky vampire satire with lots of opportunity to explore different choices and see the affect on the game's environment and the characters, try this game.

If you enjoyed 16 Ways to Kill a Vampire at McDonalds...

People who like 16 Ways to Kill a Vampire at McDonalds also gave high ratings to these games:

Trapped in a One-Room Dilly, by Laura Knauth
A one-room game. It's nicely appointed, but... [--blurb from The Z-Files Catalogue]

Entre líneas de fuego, by paravaariar
En este relato serás Sidorof, un soldado ruso en la mitad de la guerra de Oriente del siglo XIX. Héroe condecorado a título póstumo, porque nadie conoce su oscura historia. Pero tú la irás descubriendo según vayas avanzando. Sidorof se...

Suspended, by Michael Berlyn
They said you would sleep for half a millennium - not an unreasonable length of time, considering you'd be in limited cryogenic suspension. Your body would rest at the planet's nerve center, an underground complex 20 miles beneath the...

16 Ways to Kill a Vampire at McDonalds appears in the following Recommended Lists:

More Recommended Horror Games by thecanvasrose
A list of well-rated, reputable and interesting horror games not included in my favorite horror games list. For those looking to explore the genre in IF.

Doug's Top Ten of IF Comp 2016 by Doug Orleans
I played all but one of the 58 entries in IF Comp 2016 (I couldn't play Labyrinth of Loci because I don't have access to Windows or Mac OS). These were the top ten games on my ballot. Note that I rate games on slightly different criteria...

Twine games with free range of movement: A personal list by Kinetic Mouse Car
Free range of movement means the gameplay has parser qualities without the parser part. It allows you to wander around and interact directly with objects or talk to characters in your environment. This list does NOT require games to have...

The following polls include votes for 16 Ways to Kill a Vampire at McDonalds:

games with female protagonists by X.W

For your consideration: XYZZY-eligible Puzzles of 2016 by MathBrush
This is for suggesting games released in 2016 which you think might be worth considering for Best Puzzles in the XYZZY awards. This is not a zeroth-round nomination. The category will still be text-entry, and games not mentioned here...

Games good for reading aloud to someone else by tunesmith
I'm looking for IF that works well for reading aloud to someone else, and then typing in what they would like to do. We like Inform games and parser games in general. So games that are a little more story focused, and with not as much...

This is version 9 of this page, edited by jakomo on 17 June 2022 at 7:56am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item