The Bones of Rosalinda

by Agnieszka Trzaska

fantasy

”Hey, you! Skeleton lady! Can you hear me? You’ve got to pull yourself together and run before the Necromancer turns you into one of his minions!”

Rosalinda realised she wasn’t dreaming. She was in a dark cave, most of her body was missing and there was an agitated brown mouse yelling at her.

”O-okay,” she said. “How do I get out of this place? And... where are my legs?”

Her first day of un-life wasn’t going to be easy.

First Publication Date: April 5, 2022
IFID: 1A568EBD-94E1-4FC6-A0E3-733CA02B3917
TUID: qm6uf1ha48jnktfa

Entrant, Main Festival - Spring Thing 2022

A clever and charming puzzler in Twine, April 14, 2022
by bkirwi
Related reviews: Spring Thing 2022

Narratively, this is a lighthearted and comic fantasy story; mechanically, it's an interesting mix choice-based game with RPG-style elements and a world that wouldn't feel out of place in old-school Infocom.

The main characters are quite likeable, and the imagery is often strong. (Having one character riding around in another's empty eye socket is an unusual and visceral mental picture.) It's written in the third-person past tense, which I found a little hard to get used to, though in the end I do think it works for a game with this sort of storybook feel to it.

The world model is unusually well developed for a Twine game, as richly modeled as many parser fictions. The puzzles are also pretty old school - finding, using, and combining objects, exploring underground passages - and well put together. The implementation is (characteristically for the author) very solid and thorough.

One of the more unusual features of the game allows switching between multiple characters or detaching body parts and letting them move around independently. This is narratively interesting - you get multiple perspectives on parts of your environment, for example - and it sets up some unusual puzzles.

The interface is also well implemented, but sometimes a bit tedious. For example, what might in a parser game be `put arm on table` would involve several clicks: list parts, detach arm, pick up arm, open inventory, select arm, use arm, select table. Streamlining these sorts of manipulations might have kept the momentum up at that critical moment when the player's figured out a puzzle and is putting the solution into action. The game also preserves some rather unloved aspects of classic parser games, like an inventory limit and a maze, though I found to be only minor trouble.

♫---the headbone connected to the ... neck bone---♪, April 15, 2022
by Rovarsson (Belgium)
Related reviews: Horror, Fantasy

The Bones of Rosalinda has a very compelling storyline. The minimally interactive prologue sets the mood, prepares the scene and introduces the characters. The equally minimally interactive epilogue provides very satisfying closure for the story, not only for the protagonist but for the side characters too.
Both are quite long and very well written, giving the player the opportunity to dig in to the story.
In between is, of course, the game. It's up to the player to pick up the introductory setup and carry it through to the finale, jumping through a great deal of hoops large and small while doing so.

The characters in Bones are a joy to get to know. They all have enough detail and glimpses of a backstory so that not one of them feels (or smells) like just having been pressed out of a plastic mold.
I particularly liked Piecrust, a talking mouse with a rather bleak outlook on the world and his future in it, and a distracting enthousiasm for foodstuffs of any kind. The apathetic deadpan delivery of his remarks made me laugh more than once, especially near the beginning of the game.
The elaborate conversations and cutscenes provide the player with background and insights to fully appreciate the characters.

The difficulty of the puzzles was just right for me, once I really got the central gameplay mechanic. It's PC-juggling.The player has to switch player characters with different abilities (and sometimes assemble them...) to solve the problems facing the protagonist.This mechanic is introduced gently and later expanded upon, providing a gentle learning curve.
Besides the PC-juggling there is also inventory-juggling. Lots of it. A shortcut to directly GIVE an object from one PC to the next without first dropping it would be nice. Also, (Spoiler - click to show)the ability to ATTACH limbs straight out of the backpack would come in handy.
Most of the puzzles are variations on the lock-and-key theme. The Bones of Rosalinda shows with gusto that original variations on that theme are still possible. Very satisfying.

I had a blast playing through this game. Highly recommended!

An incredible short game, April 10, 2022
by f-a

I cannot praise enough this game: the good UI, the sensible puzzles, the lovely characters, their witty lines, how everything in the world seems believable yet magic at the same time. You don't have to be flowery to be moving and the writing in this game shows it.

I don't even like Twine games that much, but this one seems more a point and click adventure game relayed via text: you have your player character (and what a player character), her sidekick, a number of NPCs who are at times dumb, obstinate or helpful and a small mansion that is the background of your adventure.

There are some minor drawbacks, like slow room/inveotry transitions (maybe it is my browser but transitions at times took even a couple of seconds) and missed interactions ((Spoiler - click to show)if you jump with pepper in your hand in the goulash, it should instantly make it hot, without requiring us to specifically drop the ingredient in it).

Suggestions for the player: do have pencil and paper with you (game is small, but still making a map makes navigation easier); do download the hint files, which makes this even more enjoyable.

Closing the page I find myself fantasising about the future life of Tekla and Quintus, I hope the author will release more IF!

If you enjoyed The Bones of Rosalinda...