Starbreakers

by E. Joyce profile and N. Cormier

You and four others are in a race for survival. Only one of you can win.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2021
IFID: 0C8074C4-8CB6-46AD-9189-78BB6D381848
TUID: pshwno6vcd62e284

Entrant - 27th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2021)

A bunch of logic-type puzzles in one big Twine game, October 6, 2021

This, like Retrocon 2021, another entry in this year's IFComp, is a collection of puzzles thrown into one big story.

However, this game has much more story, including a large overarching mystery in the 'wrapper' story around this game.

The puzzles are mostly traditional ones (like having 3 different-sized measuring cups and trying to get a specific value, or a slightly faster than usual Rings of Hanoi, a crossword, a wordsearch, etc.).

Each puzzle has a story associated to it. If you die by making wrong choices or running out of time (in Normal mode, there is sometimes a timer, while in Easy mode there is not), then you get the same puzzle but with a different story.

The very first puzzle is a bit weird (it is logical, but not a 'classic puzzle') like the others. Once you get past it the rest should be more familiar.

I thought that was pretty cool. I never became super invested in the ever-changing characters and the puzzles were mostly ones where the solutions are known, but I had fun doing it.

+Polish: Very polished.
+Descriptive: Yes, especially the changing settings
+Interactivity: At least there were no cryptograms or (at least for me) real Towers of Hanoi. What was there was frequently fun.
-Emotional Impact: Didn't get invested.
-Would I play again? It was fun, but I'm not sure how much replay value there is.

I really think this game is a 3.5, and would round up to 4 to be nice, but E. Joyce has already made many incredible games, so I'll point to those instead. Check out "Lady Thalia and the Seraskier Sapphires" (also co-written by N. Cormier) or "Social Lycanthropy Disorder", especially, because those are really fun!

A series of puzzles packaged in Twine, October 16, 2021

At its core, Starbreakers is a series of puzzles, but the puzzles are complemented by a slowly unfolding story which wrapped up the game nicely. It's mostly standard math/logic/word puzzles, but a few stood out as particularly creative, and together they formed a fun and satisfying path to the conclusion. Increasingly detailed hints are available in the sidebar, and I appreciated the wink to seasoned puzzlers somewhere in the middle (thank you for not making me do that thing I thought I was going to have to do). Worth an hour or so of your time if you like puzzles but not majorly challenging ones.

If you enjoyed Starbreakers...