Post-comp release
latest release
original competition entry
Solution (text)
Verbose walkthrough and map by David Welbourn.

Tower

by Simon Deimel profile

Surreal

Out of the blue, and into the blue. And there you are, in a chamber, trying to find out what is going on. Everything is so unreal... what has happened to you? TOWER is a short interactive fiction with surreal elements.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2014
IFID: 248B769B-DF35-4C22-8831-6C8BFEDAFDED
TUID: ny2i4ekxsbefa4m4

21st Place - 20th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2014)

A short game of keys and doors and a dragon, June 4, 2016

Tower was the second game entered by Simon Deimel in ifcomp 2014, and to be honest, I prefer Enigma, a well-written drama.

This game, Tower, leans heavily on classic IF tropes: locked doors and keys, amnesia, a dragon, an unusual combination lock, a generic fantasy setting. The descriptions are spare, but everything runs fairly smoothly.

Still, I wouldn't mind playing this game again. It's fun wandering around and trying everything.

Tower, October 14, 2017

So I'm in a tower... this seems to be fantasy land with some modern elements like a neon tube.

The implementation and the level of hints were good, but the puzzles were ... puzzling. I donít understand the vase puzzle and the red door at the end of the corridor.

What is up with the response to Ďtake allí when you drop items after the big bad attacks you? ďOne at a time, please.Ē Iíve just dropped all my stuff and I want it back fast. Why am I having to type the name of every single object like itís 1980? I bet even Scott Adams games let you GET ALL.

Itís reasonably well implemented and the hint system is cool Ė the sphere is an imaginative touch. However, the plotís weak and I solved several puzzles without understanding what I was doing.

If you enjoyed Tower...

People who like Tower also gave high ratings to these games:

Alone, by Paul Michael Winters
Just you and your car, alone on the open road. You haven't seen another car for weeks. You haven't spoken to another person in months. And if you want to stay alive, you'd better keep it that way.

Kaged, by Ian Finley
""But my madness speaks: It will but skin and film the ulcerous place, Whilst rank corruption, mining all within, Infects unseen." Welcome to the Citadel of Justice. The Inquisitor is waiting." [--blurb from Competition Aught-Zero]

Starborn, by Juhana Leinonen
The Magellan returned to Earth two weeks ago. I however can never go home. There are two versions of the story: Inform 7 version (2011) that uses a single-keyword parser, and Undum/Vorple version (2012) that uses clickable hyperlinks and...

The following polls include votes for Tower:

Vertical Games by Anya Johanna DeNiro
Looking for games that really explore verticality, which go up (way up) in their setting. Human-made structures in particular: towers, skyscrapers, radio antennae. Games that figuratively can make you feel dizzy, particularly after a...

This is version 9 of this page, edited by David Welbourn on 19 June 2015 at 11:05pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item