That Sinister Self

- Brendan Patrick Hennessy (Toronto, Ontario), April 6, 2016

- hoopla, November 28, 2015

Emotional landscapes of a high-schooler, August 25, 2015
by verityvirtue (London)

You're a girl on her first day of high school, but you've got a problem greater than friends or horrible teachers on your hands: your reflection in the mirror is threatening mutiny.

The first thing that strikes me is that it's a very aesthetically pleasing game. Visual elements are used to great effect. The evil mirror-self is shown in the reflected text which changes, not very subtly, to insert negative thoughts about a situation; the text changes when you click through links to reflect what is presumably the PC's insecurity and anxiety about her new situation. There’s a whole lot of clicking through, though, not all of which I thought was strictly necessary.

The content - family life, high-school social minefields - is very much the stuff of many teen fiction novels, and what should have made it impactful would be the presentation of the evil mirror-self, but the goal of the game was probably nothing overtly spooky. Rather, it was more about the internal emotional conflict of the PC.

So far I've found two endings, (Spoiler - click to show)the triumphant and doppelganger one. I found the confrontation well-written and personally it struck a chord with me, though there was little to build up to this. The endgame could have been much stronger if the PC had been less generic. If we understood a bit more about her fears and personality, then it might have made the triumph feel more like one. That said, I enjoyed the sly ending (though really nothing surprising to one who reads horror fiction so often).

- Mona Mae (South Africa), August 10, 2015

Another good game by Astrid Dalmady, July 11, 2015

That sinister self is a great, linear, short-to-mid length twine game dealing with body image. Like Astrid's other stories, I found my heart racing a bit.

There are multiple endings and some mild language.

The game incorporates some special effects which lend it much of its appeal.

In the mirror, June 18, 2015

Your a girl and your afraid.

I like being afraid.
I like suspense.
I like the flow of the writing.
Tap tap. I like tapping a link every second. It's just ok on a touchpad. I wouldn't like clicking so often. I would like auto-advance like in renpy stories.
I like narrative branches.

I would like higher contrast for links and for mirror highlights.
I would like shorter pauses.
I would like to talk to (Spoiler - click to show)myself.
I would like bookmarks. (Also, I would like to pause/resume the music.)
I would like to know if there is a webkit for my mobile? (Links are the same colour as prose.)

- piefan, June 13, 2015