Djinn on the Rocks

by Joshua Wilson profile

Swap my wheelbarrow got me a horse, May 7, 2021
by jakomo
Related reviews: punyjam1

You're a genie in a bottle, but thankfully nobody needs to "rub you the right way". You have the power to SWAP any object in the game world with any other (providing it has similar properties). A door is locked? SWAP it with a different, open door you've seen somewhere else and just walk through. A really clever mechanic used in multiple crafty and surprising ways. Three new custom verbs, a karma system, puzzles with multiple solutions, and multiple endings, NPCs you can converse with, all crammed into a mere seven rooms. The game is an entry in "PunyJam", a competition for games using the alternate, cut-down Inform library suitable for 8-bit computers. I honestly didn't notice anything missing from the regular Inform libraries while playing, so that's a big success for both the library and the game's shrewd use of it.

Great ideas, great design, May 7, 2021
by Wilfried Elmenreich (Austria)

I really like the ideas in this game and the interesting descriptions. I also appreciate how the game design guides the player into gameplay through small successful steps.

- Edo, May 4, 2021