Orbital Decay

by Kayvan Sarikhani

An astronautís life is wondrous; sometimes, space has other ideas.

First Publication Date: April 5, 2022
TUID: g0vj5dbuh1shpmq1

Entrant, Main Festival - Spring Thing 2022

Space-based twine game with some realistic images and procedures , April 17, 2022

There is a long tradition in IF of space games where you start alone in or near a damaged space station and have to make it out alive or at least figure out what's happened. It's a genre I enjoy.

This one goes out of its way to focus on realistic aspects, something I haven't seen much before. A lot of images directly from NASA are used, as well as a variety of free images online that have been modified, with accompanying music.

Using airlocks requires a variety of processes, including exercising! Hadn't known that was a thing with pressure changes before.

I ran into a couple of issues with lists not lining up (numbers and text was mismatched) but I think that might just be my Chrome browser, as the same thing happened with a website my son was working on, so I don't think it's the author's fault.

The only thing I felt really lacking here was emotional engagement. The processes were interesting and clinical, and there were definitely places I could have hooked in emotionally (a picture of family, the loss of Commander Rico), but for whatever reason I just didn't feel that connection. Overall, well done scientific space adventure.

Save the ISS to crash down our planet., April 16, 2022

ORBITAL DECAY

There are always some space operas in any jam. It is a recurrent theme.
The author explains that this was to be a C64 graphic adventure and I realize it. Good graphics, inmersive music, and a hard scify pov.
I think Kayvan has been incestigating all info around ISS. The result is a simulacionist game, I like that flavour, where you do your actions the right way. If you detach tour helmet you die (there is a bug here, when you are inside the ship you are questionated about taking off the helmet you have previously take off and you die if you do here). You have to do the actions in the right sequence but there is a list in the wall, so this isnít difficult.
Then you will have to fix and perform some tasks, discovering what have happened to the starship.

Anyway I liked this game very much. The left pannel letís you turn the music on/off, save/restore the game and the left pannel shows graphics and the text box.

A good game everyone could try.

Jade.

If you enjoyed Orbital Decay...

People who like Orbital Decay also gave high ratings to these games:

Leather Goddesses of Phobos, by Steve Meretzky
And now... the next exciting episode of humanoids in space! How did you, a regular at Joe's Bar in Upper Sandusky, Ohio, end up on a Martian moon? Can you prevent the hideous space creature from abducting the naked heiress? Why does...

Even Cowgirls Bleed, by Christine Love

Animalia, by Ian Michael Waddell
This is the story of Charlie Stewart, nine-year-old Human child. Inside this ordinary nine-year-old Human child are four animals from the Forest, working tirelessly to keep YOUR Taiga Federation safe from Human intervention.

This is version 1 of this page, edited by kaemi on 6 April 2022 at 11:36am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item