External Links

Your World According to a Single Word

by Kastel profile

Surreal
2023

A word wants to say more than words about your world

Entrant - The Bare-Bones Jam

12th Place, Best in Show - The IF Short Games Showcase 2023

Tags you added are shown below with checkmarks. To remove one of your tags, simply un-check it.

Enter new tags here (use commas to separate tags):

Why words? Why not communicating through..., November 20, 2023
by manonamora
Related reviews: barebonesjam

I really, really, like pieces taking human experiences and flipping it on its head by viewing it from an outsider perspective (aliens/other). It's always a bit strange and uncomfortable, to look at this from a non-human POV, but it also makes you think about the things we take for granted. You know... the little every day things that are actually pretty awesome.

Here, a word - Hypertext (harr, harr) - takes over your body for a month to experience what it's like to be human, and recounts its experiences with you through the medium of Hypertext Kinetic IF (though it reaaallly wanted to make a parser instead). I liked the attention to details, like what's in your bed room, especially the closet and the bookcase, or the ways different bits connect together (the colours and images especially). In trying to explain the wonders (and less wondrous aspects) of human life, Hypertext engages in the debate of how best to communicate things with others, pulling its "hair" at the backward way that is text.

The entry is very strange, but also quite endearing, and I enjoyed the meta/philosophical discussion about the use of words, their meaning, and whether we should turn to other, maybe better, ways to communicate with others.
I could have done maybe without the whole physical relationship passage. That made me a bit uncomfortable.

It was a very good entry!

Reminds me of Lawrence of Arabia for no reason whatsoever, July 13, 2024

The game’s flow is interesting and yet captivating, picking between single-choices with massive texts of screen before them, and ones with objects and a lot of choices. Especially the clothes drawer. I liked the clothes drawer. It really made me feel like the word was really new to this world: didn’t know which parts to focus on and remember, instead remembering the things we take for granted - the vital stuff - and forgetting or undescribing the stuff humans find special. I found that clever.

The world’s on some things really were fascinating, such as the images (considering it is text), and I think the concept and delivery was great. However, the end bit with the outro (from the comments on OS to the end) dragged on a little too long, which could have been intended, but didn’t feel it.

Glad I played it though.

The world of humans as seen through a single word, January 24, 2024

This game has a bit of a different setup between the reader and the protagonist.

The narrative voice of the game is a sentient word. It addresses 'you', but 'you' doesn't mean the reader, it means a person in college that the word traded bodies with for a month.

The word is intrigued and obsessed with the human world, especially with things like color and visual stimuli.

The concept is clever, and there is a lot of enthusiasm that comes across as appropriate for a visitor from another world.

The longer it went on, the more I saw it as the story of someone who truly despises what they are; someone who does not like themself whatsoever. Because the word likes text least of all; it doesn't enjoy visual things more, it actively despises text.

There were two things that were a little weird about my interaction with the game. The first is that I felt like it was apologizing for itself a lot, which is weird because do you as a reader agree with it that it's non-ideal or feel sympathy for it? The second is that there was a wide range of interactivity which never fell into a rhythm for me; it went from wild combinatorial explosion to mostly linear.

Overall, I think it's a solid concept and that the game is just the right length for what it's exploring. I didn't click with all of it, but I did like parts and others might like all.

Your World According to a Single Word on IFDB

The following polls include votes for Your World According to a Single Word:

Outstanding Underappreciated Game of 2023 by MathBrush
This poll is part of the 2022 IFDB Awards. The rules for the competition can be found here, and a list of all categories can be found here. This award is for the most underappreciated game of 2023. Voting is open to all IFDB members....

Games seeking reviews (authors only) by Tabitha / alyshkalia
EDIT: The inaugural IF Review-a-thon is now underway! Full information here. Are you an IF author who would like more reviews of your work? Submit those works to this poll! While reviews are not guaranteed, I will be sharing the list...

This is version 5 of this page, edited by EJ on 1 February 2024 at 7:29pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item - Delete This Page