Quest Story File
Play Online

Dream Pieces

by Iam Curio

2013

You are in a dream but if you stay you'll miss out on a great birthday!

If you like the rhyme... It's hammer time!

First Publication Date: September 29, 2013
Development System: Quest
TUID: 8pg84yq3qkodu7l5

Followed by sequel Dream Pieces 2, by Iam Curio

20th Place - 19th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2013)

Simple, young-player-leaning wordplay game from the Quest school., July 3, 2019
by Wade Clarke (Sydney, Australia)
Related reviews: IFComp 2013, Quest

(The original version of this review was split over two blog posts I wrote upon this game's initial 2013 IFComp release.)

Dream Pieces is a friendly-feeling bedroom adventure of word puzzling delivered via the Quest platform. It has semi-rhyming (and semi-straining) prose and some nods towards helpful production values – for instance you can choose whether the presentation is delivered to suit a desktop computer, a tablet or a mobile phone. The goal in Dream Pieces is to manipulate domestic objects in your bedroom to create tools and methods to further manipulate domestic objects in your bedroom, but it's more fun that I just made it sound. Tools can split the names of objects into constituent letters which can then be rearranged to create new props. The game uses some features of Quest well, like being able to right click a wordlet, click 'Mix', then click the thing you want to mix it with from a menu.

When I initially apprehended this mechanic, I felt my interest prickling, and since the game gives the impression of being easy enough for a child to complete, what with its child-like font and enthusiastic outlook, I figured I was about to power through the whole thing for some simple satisfaction. I ended up abandoning my first playthrough due to a moment of inflexibility that I mistook for a bug. Other IFCompers cleared me up on this point and brought it to my attention that there was a colour-related mechanism in play that I hadn't noticed. I then powered through to victory like I'd thought I'd been about to the first time. The game has apparently been significantly updated since I played its original incarnation.

Dream Pieces certainly offers easy word-chopping for an adult but would probably be more outwardly satisfying for a kid. It was also the first word game I'd seen released for the Quest platform, and it came out after a year that birthed a decent number of sophisticated word games in IFdom.

Note: this review is based on older version of the game.

A fun game making and breaking words, August 1, 2017

I played the most recent version of this game.

It's a fun wordplay game in Quest, where you click on different items to take and break them.

Breaking an item splits it up into different letters. You combine the letters to make new words.

It's fairly short, but I enjoyed it. There was some slowdown on textadventures.co.uk

If you enjoyed Dream Pieces...

People who like Dream Pieces also gave high ratings to these games:

Following Me, by Tia Orisney
Two women take a wrong turn in the woods and make a gruesome discovery. They seek help from a mysterious stranger and are dragged into a vicious trap that they will be lucky to survive. Intended for mature audiences.

Island in the Storm, by JSMaika
A storm blows you course, leaving you stranded on an unfamiliar island. You need to repair your boat, so you can sail home, but you soon find that more lives than just yours are in your hands. Explore the island. Talk to its inhabitants....

Robin & Orchid, by Ryan Veeder and Emily Boegheim
High school journalists spend the night in a church, investigating reports of a ghost.

Dream Pieces appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Favorite wordplay/puzzle/code games by MathBrush
Games whose main 'genre' is wordplay. This list does not include games like the Edifice or Suveh Nux which have significant wordplay elements, but which are not the focus of the story.

Recommended Linguistic Games by E.K.
Good games that use language puzzles, or language itself as the puzzle.

New walkthroughs for February 2022 by David Welbourn
On Friday, February 25, 2022, I published new walkthroughs for the games and stories listed below! Some of these were paid for by my wonderful patrons at Patreon. Please consider supporting me to make even more new walkthroughs for works...

The following polls include votes for Dream Pieces:

Games much improved in later versions by Karl Ove Hufthammer
Most IF works are only available in ‘version 1’, but some are released in updated versions. And a few see a large amount of bug fixing, rewriting and polish. This is a poll for highlighting these games, games that the authors have taken...

This is version 8 of this page, edited by David Welbourn on 26 February 2022 at 3:05am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item