Zip of all Ectocomp games
Contains Wedding Day.zblorb
Requires a Z-Code interpreter. Visit IFWiki for download links. (Compressed with ZIP. Free Unzip tools are available for most systems at www.info-zip.org.)

Wedding Day

by E. Joyce profile

Your wedding ceremony will begin soon. You must prepare.

First Publication Date: October 31, 2014
TUID: 87kh7s3bczbdi1i

5th Place - EctoComp 2014

Not an unfamiliar wedding story, January 22, 2018
by verityvirtue (London)
Related reviews: melancholic

An Ectocomp game with the name of what is usually a joyous occasion is quite the juxtaposition. In this short game, you are preparing for your wedding day, and everything about the preamble suggests reluctance, hesitance; it is immediately clear that this is no consensual union. The wedding is a matter of practicality, as many are, and this affair was the best you were going to get.

The authorís light touch with world-building is not unlike watching a theatre backdrop: sketched out with just enough details for the readerís imagination to fill in the gaps. Of course, this treads the line between minimalism and under-implementation, and one might argue for the description of this or that.

Like The Unstoppable Vengeance of Doctor Bonesaw (to compare ECTOCOMP to ECTOCOMP), Wedding Day seems at first to have a single path laid out, waiting for you to walk it. But the parser effectively masks the second ending hinted at in the ABOUT text, which gave it satisfying depth for a game with a carefully limited scope.

A short ectocomp game about a grim wedding, July 1, 2017

This game has a great atmosphere. Its for ectocomp, so its really short, but it has well-clued actions for you to get ready for a wedding in a poor village.

Every item has a message attached to it, and the story has a nice buildup given how short it is. Great fun-to-time ration.

If you enjoyed Wedding Day...