esthers.zip *
IFComp 2022 Release

Esther's

by Brad Buchanan profile and Alleson Buchanan

Children's

At Esther's cafe your adorable host
Served cheese to the mice when they wanted toast!
That won't bother Harold's robust appetite,
But Janie insists that the order's not right.

Author's Postmortem

Current Version: 2022-11-21.1
IFID: E66FC404-B49E-49A7-BB70-C1A454E5B060
TUID: 5myfh1xhwfe3xo3g

17th Place - tie - 28th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2022)

A story about two mice trying to communicate with a girl that kids might love, October 11, 2022
by RadioactiveCrow (Irving, TX)
Related reviews: About 15 minutes, IF Comp 2022

This is a very short game featuring two mice trying to order brunch at their favorite restaurant, run by a human girl that doesn't speak squeak.

What can I say about this for the adult audience? Not much. It is a cute story, the epitome of a children's book in IF form, but doesn't offer much for adults. If you have a precocious child they might be up for this story, but I feel like my 7- and 9-year-old (albeit a special needs child) would either struggle to keep up with the story or be bored by it.

All that said it is a sweet story in the classic children's storybook mold. I do want to see more IF for children, even as I am working to create stories to help my autistic child learn in Twine or Ink, but I find it hard to judge this type of work in the IF Comp. Perhaps we need an IF Comp exclusively for children's stories. Something to ponder.

Bravo, Buchanans! I hope you create more childrens' IF.

Get the Kids into Interactive Fiction Early, October 8, 2022

Esther's is a very short game, about 5 minutes of read/play time, and that is a perfect length for a game that models itself after a picture book. Everything from the font choices and colors, to the undeniably charming illustrations work together to this end. The humor is clever, gentle, and exactly the kind of thing to delight a young child like the titular Esther.

This is a game to be read along with the kids in your life. To the authors, thank you for making this game, and for demonstrating that this art form truly can be for all ages.

A cute interactive storybook, October 1, 2022
by Rachel Helps (Utah)
Related reviews: IF Comp 2022

In this short game, you play as a mouse, with another mouse friend, who tries to communicate their brunch order to a human. There are a few minor choices that make a difference to the narrative, but eventually they all end in a similar way. I didn't rate the game because I think that I am not the intended audience. I liked the quality of the images, and that they conveyed information that was helpful to understanding the narrative. I didn't like that my choices didn't matter that much. However, I can imagine my daughter really enjoying this game.

If you enjoyed Esther's...