The Girl in the Haunted House

by Amanda Lange

A scary story. What kind? Better find out for yourself.

An entry in the 2014 Fear of Twine exhibition.

First Publication Date: February 14, 2014
TUID: 4q82xxvv21kxt34z

Interesting, Creepy, March 1, 2014

I enjoyed this. It's effective and fun.

It reminded me of an old school CYOA, with branches that depict different realities, rather than different aspects of the same reality. You're building a story here, and your choices will affect it, but you won't have much idea what's going to happen based on what you've picked. This actually works pretty well with the genre --you're supposed to feel helpless and uncertain, even a little foolish at times. And there are a number of subtle variations along each path that make the story seem coherent and put together even on repeated plays.

(Spoiler - click to show)The author somehow managed to create a CYOA with the feel and effect of watching a handful of different horror movies. Your job, as the player, is to watch and occasionally flip the channel to see what other movies are playing. And it really does work in this context.

Overall, I really felt more as if I were assembling a story than playing a game, but it was an enjoyable process.

Eek! (restart) (...) Eek!, January 1, 2015

This game's best feature is its replayability. Each plot possiblility is pretty short -- just long enough to build up to a good scare -- but there are a lot of them. I've replayed it seven or eight times now, and I'm still not sure I've seen everything.

Halloween Scares, Bite-Sized, March 6, 2014
by Danielle (The Wild West)

If you like scary (but not too gruesome) like I do, this game hits the spot. Though not very long, it effectively captures that creepy mood I like when I'm craving Halloween.

Think of it like a snack-sized Snickers bar...it's not gonna replace the amazing feast that is Halloween (or a creepy game like ANCHORHEAD), but it'll definitely tide you over!

If you enjoyed The Girl in the Haunted House...

People who like The Girl in the Haunted House also gave high ratings to these games:

climbing 208 feet up the ruin wall, by Porpentine
-OVER 207 FEET -MORE THAN 1,000,000 PROCEDURALLY GENERATED VINES -REALISTIC WEATHER SYSTEM -LOOKS LIKE WE GOT A “CLIMB”-INAL INVESTIGATION

Vespers, by Jason Devlin
It has been five days, now. Five days since I made the choice. Five days since I closed the gate. Really, there was no choice. Rovato was damned when the first spot appeared: when the first bloody cough ensued from the mouth of an...

Glass, by Emily Short
The Prince sits awkwardly on the couch, holding his glass slipper and trying to keep it from crushing. Lucinda and Theodora have the ends of the same couch, and they are taking turns seeing who can bend lowest and show off the most...

The Girl in the Haunted House appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Underrated Menu-Driven Games by forgepoet
Menu-driven games that I think should have wider exposure. Games that might not be perfect but deserve better than no reviews or no rating.

This is version 3 of this page, edited by necromancer on 20 September 2016 at 5:04pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item