journey.gam
documentation

Journey from an Islet

by Mario Becroft

2001

In this small game, you play as an adventurer. You have traveled long and far and have now fallen onto an island in the darkness before dawn. How will you escape from there and continue your journey?

Development System: TADS 2
IFID: TADS2-DEB6499A35AA9791CE012ABC294CFD5D
TUID: 4azctrgdtf1rbocx

12th Place - 7th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2001)

>VERBOSE -- Paul O'Brian's Interactive Fiction Page

Between the flat writing and the lack of context, I found it difficult to care what was going on in the game -- it all seemed a little arbitrary. The game employed some visual tricks that were helpful. Crayon sketches were scattered judiciously throughout, and unlike Arrival's crayon-work, these sketches had the effect of creating a soft, watercolor ambience rather than a childlike one. Also, the game selects the background color based on the time of day, and this too is an effective trick. Still, these techniques weren't enough, for me, to counterbalance the sluggish prose, and I left the game feeling pretty unmoved.

An illustrated TADS game reminiscent of The Little Prince, July 16, 2017

This game has you exploring a little abandoned islet. It really reminds me of the little prince with its illustrations, especially a sheep, a snake, a desert, etc.

It has a music-based puzzle (without sound) that was nice. It was all very light, though, and had you take some actions that are rather unguessable. The pictures were pleasant, though.

Journey from an Islet on IFDB

Journey from an Islet appears in the following Recommended Lists:

My new walkthroughs for July 2021 by David Welbourn
On Friday July 9, 2021, I published new walkthroughs for the games and stories listed below! Some of these were paid for by my wonderful patrons at Patreon. Please consider supporting me to make even more new walkthroughs for works of...

The following polls include votes for Journey from an Islet:

Games suitable for children by Mike Sousa
My 10 year old twins recently "discovered" IF. They fell in love with Grunk and are asking for more games to play. I've searched BAF and have some ideas, but figured I would give this poll a shot since there are hundreds and hundreds of...

This is version 3 of this page, edited by David Welbourn on 9 July 2021 at 3:13pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item