The Spectre of Castle Coris

by Larry Horsfield profile

Episode 2 of The Adventures of Alaric Blackmoon

Having been created a Duke by the grateful King Kelson for recovering the lost "Axe of Kolt", you are touring the towns and villages of your new duchy of Charlton when you hear about some strange goings-on in the town of Corwyn.

Can you deal with the mysterious apparition which is terrifying the population and unravel the mystery of THE SPECTRE OF CASTLE CORIS?

License: free

Remake of The Spectre of Castle Coris, by Larry Horsfield

Classic Fantasy meets Ghost Mystery, March 25, 2020
by Rovarsson (Belgium)
Related reviews: Fantasy, Alaric Blackmoon, Adventure

The second Alaric Blackmoon game. It's a large oldschool quest to save a village from a spectre that's killing and abducting people.
Right from the start it got my attention because of the mystery aspect. Who or what is this Spectre? Finding this out is essential to vanquishing it in the end.

I like my fantasy oldschool, straightforward and unapologetic. Here the mystery adds to the fun. Good puzzles, a great sense of space once you enter the castle grounds. Linear, but I don't mind that in this sort of game. Some great, vividly written scenes.

The author made a design choice that may be offputting to some: until you enter the castle, you must send the ghost away with a prayer every 20 turns or so. To me, this added to the presence of the Spectre, to others, this will get dull.

This game's good for a week, maybe two of ghosthunting and castlesearching fun. Well worth playing.

Great parser game with built-in map, August 2, 2016
by Denk
Related reviews: ADRIFT 5

The Spectre of Castle Coris is the sequel to the Axe of Kolt, and just as its predecessor it is a modern improvement of an old spectrum adventure. This time Alaric Blackmoon has to solve the mystery of a spectre, which terrorizes the town surrounding the castle Coris. The game can roughly be divided into two parts: First Alaric must gather whatever he needs in his quest outside the castle. Afterwards he must enter the castle and free the town of the evil spectre.

The game is rather big but contains a built-in map, which is well-structured and very convenient (except when playing online – download the game instead). There is a nice use of text colors, which gives life to the overall fine descriptions. The implementation is very good and rarely if ever is guess-the-verb an issue. Anyway a vocabulary command is implemented.

The puzzles range from easy to hard and the player must remember to examine and search everything as well as ask the right questions. Note that the game distinguishes between “ASK [person] ABOUT [topic]” and “ASK [person] FOR [object]”.

Overall, this is a highly enjoyable game, which just reaches the five-star mark.

If you enjoyed The Spectre of Castle Coris...

People who like The Spectre of Castle Coris also gave high ratings to these games:

The Plant, by Michael J. Roberts
You're on a business trip with your boss, driving down a deserted highway in the middle of nowhere, when the car breaks down. You set off on foot seeking help, but you soon find yourself in the middle of a shocking conspiracy in a...

The Lurking Horror II: The Lurkening, by Ryan Veeder
An unauthorized sequel to the Infocom classic, written for the 2018 MIT Mystery Hunt.

Countdown 2: The Soul, by Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw
"In the runup to the release of [6 Days A Sacrifice], I wrote and realised a trilogy of brief text adventures to foreshadow the plot of the eventual game." - Yahtzee

The following polls include votes for The Spectre of Castle Coris:

Games with maps... by Xionix
I started playing Counterfeit Monkey, and I notice a good map is a way for us newbies to get into the game more easy. And I hate to draw so, are any other games that got a in-game map? It can be any genre.

For Your Consideration - XYZZY-eligible games of 2015 by Brendan Patrick Hennessy
This is for suggesting games released in 2015 which you think might be worth considering for Best Game in the XYZZY awards. This is not a zeroth-round nomination. The category will still be text-entry, and games not mentioned here will...

Great game sequels by Teaspoon
Whilst writing a review of "All Alone", Joey Jones's sequel to his game "If I Wasn't Shy", I became curious - how many examples of sequels are there in IF? Preferably good ones.

This is version 3 of this page, edited by Denk on 22 November 2019 at 3:09am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item