Glass

by Emily Short profile

Part of fractured fairy tales
2006

Previous | << 1 2 3 4 >> | Next | Show All

Effective storytelling makes Glass worth playing, October 9, 2020
by bradleyswissman (Virginia, US)
Emily Short really pushes some boundaries of IF that she has similarly played with in Galatea. I highly recommend playing this game at least once through before reading any spoilers.

In this riff on the classic story of Cinderella, you play (Spoiler - click to show) not the evil stepmother, the haughty sisters, the handsome prince, or Cinderella, but the family parrot. . I went in expecting something lengthy and immersive like Bronze, but was pleasantly charmed by this clever reimagination. Partially because she's stripped the reader of most of their agency, Ms. Short's writing shines through here more than ever. She fully fleshes her characters out in terms of mannerisms and speech. Additionally, Short(Spoiler - click to show), having pulled the wool over your eyes by casting you, the reader, as a parrot, provides us with a completely re-written Cinderella. You will definitely want to play through multiple times so that you can experience the full story! There are at least 4 different endings that I found.

I gave this gave 4 stars rather than 5 simply because it lacked the impressive machinery that Post usually works into her IF, and 4 stars rather than 3 because the writing is really that good. It is well worth your time, simply because it takes very little time to play.

- Edo, June 27, 2020

- Wanderlust, August 3, 2017

- jamesb (Lexington, Kentucky), July 27, 2017

"Bronze" is certainly stronger than "Glass", July 16, 2017
by Cory Roush (Ohio)
Another in a series of Emily Short's fractured fairy tales, but without the depth and complexity of "Bronze"... so unfortunately, not as enjoyable.

I appreciate the experimental nature of a game like this; not only are you given limited ways to control the outcome, but your character is limited by nature itself as you play a bird in a cage.

Two problems stand out in my mind, though:

1) Available conversation topics are shown after THINKing, but it always seems like the topics come one moment too late. By the time you actually SAY something, the other characters have already proceeded, and it's not always clear how your input changed the course of the conversation.

2) With games like these, with multiple endings and a limited window of opportunity to branch the storyline, I'd love to have a system that tracks how many other endings I have to discover. I wouldn't want the "clues" to be too descriptive... something like a Choice of Games' Achievements system where the author could allude to one of the many paths available. Without knowing if I've already discovered all of the endings, going back and replaying after a few restarts seems potentially fruitless.

- jenzwick, October 4, 2016

- missjith, April 24, 2016

A short, one-room fairy-tale game where you cannot act, February 3, 2016
This is one of my two favorite Emily Short games (the other being Floatpoint). In this game, a re-telling of Cinderella, you play an observer in the trying-on-of-shoes portion of the story. You can take no actions, but you can introduce topics in the conversation to steer you to one of six possible endings.

This game has some memorable moments and strong dialogue. It is fun to replay over and over again, and does not feel tedious in doing so.

Short has provided the source code for this game, which is entertaining in and of itself. If you haven't seen Inform code before, it consists of mostly whole sentences, and is much more understandable than C++, Python, Perl, etc. So even if you are not a programmer, you can understand a lot of it.

- Teaspoon, January 29, 2016

- Guenni (At home), January 24, 2016

- Aryore, December 13, 2015

- leanbh, December 3, 2015

More interesting than it appears at first glance, October 26, 2015

by RickyD (South Carolina, USA)
First time I played this, I realized very quickly that I was essentially an outside observer. However, I initially thought I was ONLY an outside observer and could do very little to impact the course of the game. (Basically the only thing you can do is say words, though your vocabulary is a bit bigger than I initially thought.) It wasn't until I played it a few more times that I realized I had more control than I initially thought, and that's when it started to get interesting. In the end, I discovered half a dozen different endings from my own playing around (and I had some help finding the last one (Spoiler - click to show)where you're sold to pirates and don't even get to see how the story ends.)

At the very least, it's worth playing for the "novelty" factor, but I recommend playing it multiple times, trying different words to see what the outcomes might be (or even to find different paths to the same outcome.)

- hoopla, February 27, 2015