origin of love

by Sophia de Augustine profile

Poetry

heretical poetry for your undead lover.

23:4 - though i walk through the valley of the shadow of death, i will fear no evil: for you are with me.

entry for ectocomp 2022 in the "la petite mort" category: 4 hours or less!

First Publication Date: October 31, 2022
TUID: 24v6eqtq6g6m2yly

11th Place, La Petite Mort - English - ECTOCOMP 2022

Hold me, thrill me, kiss me, kill me, November 2, 2022
by jakomo
Related reviews: ectocomp2022

Hypertext poetry. A portrait of obsessive, excessive, limitless love. Or is it? The vivid, lascivious imagery offers an interesting thematic counterpart to the other Ectocomp 2022 entry, MARTYR ME, that also displays a similar co-mingling of sex and unexpected violence amid a sense of unreality. Is there something in the air? Ectocomp is horny this year. The story is strictly linear, with hyperlinks popping up annotation windows that offer further expansion on the link text. In fact, the whole work could be reproduced as a regular static poem, using the standard superscript numbering scheme to denote in-line footnotes and listing the annotations, sequentially, as a numbered list beneath the main body. Would be fun to see something like that in a trad printed poetry anthology one day.

Love poem about romantic encounter with a husband, November 14, 2022

This brief game is essentially a poem about physical love between the main character and their husband.

It is simultaneously explicit and not, similar to the Song of Solomon, which represents sexual feeling as a form of divine worship. This short poem combines both that religious sentiment and also a form of physical violence.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and each person experiences romantic and physical attraction in different ways. While I could appreciate the author's emotion and feeling, I didn't feel a universality in the experience that called me to share in the experience.

The styling is quite complex, with shades of pink and red. The majority of interactivity is in moving to the next page or clicking on words to get essentially footnotes.

Overall, I valued the elegance of the language the most.

the way a wound bays for the knife, November 21, 2022
by Draconis
Related reviews: Ectocomp 2022

This one is more interactive poetry than interactive fiction: a sequence of stanzas hyperlinked together, with additional lines that show up when you click particular words. Itís a genre that I havenít seen much of before, but one that seems very well-suited to Twineís format.

Itís about gay vampire lovers, which I adore. The writing is quite nice, and the poem overall is short but sweet. It feels like itís just the length it should be.

I want to comment more on it, but unfortunately Iíve never been great at this type of criticismóI can write a lot about my feelings on different types of gameplay, but thatís not especially relevant here. So Iíll conclude by saying simply that I enjoyed it, and quoting a passage I especially liked:

only you love him the way
a wound bays for the knife
a raw socket misses the tooth
restless tongue probing
cavernous ache.

origin of love on IFDB

origin of love appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Twine games with gorgeous gradient backgrounds by Kinetic Mouse Car
These are Twine games that make heavy use of gradient backgrounds. This excludes Twine games that use a variety of single colour backgrounds. Those too are wonderful but do not fit this list. There is something about a well-placed...

This is version 1 of this page, edited by EJ on 2 November 2022 at 4:21pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item