EctoComp 2013 compressed file
Contains Hill of Souls.zblorb
Requires a Z-Code interpreter. Visit IFWiki for download links. (Compressed with ZIP. Free Unzip tools are available for most systems at www.info-zip.org.)

Hill of Souls

TUID: 3c4wki6qemylk14u

Nominee, Best Supplemental Materials - 2013 XYZZY Awards

22nd Place - Ectocomp 2013

A creepy short game experimenting with text output, August 17, 2017

This game (whose cover art was nominated for an XYZZY award for best supplemental materials) uses randomization to change the description of the area you are in (a one-room game), and every turn it clears the screen before printing the description.

I found it a bit confusing, and I had to look up the club floyd transcript to finish it, but it was a fun experiment.

If you enjoyed Hill of Souls...

People who like Hill of Souls also gave high ratings to these games:

PataNoir, by Simon Christiansen
The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.

Cana According To Micah, by Christopher Huang (as Rev. Stephen Dawson)
Being an account of the wedding at Cana, by the servant Micah; in which further details, doubtlessly apocryphal, are given of the event, including his contention with a surly Baptist, an interfering orphan, and a proliferation of women...

The Land Beyond the Picket Fence, by Martin Oehm

Hill of Souls appears in the following Recommended Lists:

2013 XYZZY Awards Nominees by Molly
Here are the nominees for the 2013 XYZZY Awards, roughly by order of appearance on the finalist page. Note that this list does not cover the Best Technological Development Award.

The following polls include votes for Hill of Souls:

Best cover art by MathBrush
What games have really good cover art?

This is version 6 of this page, edited by Zape on 12 April 2021 at 1:23am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item