Requires a Glulx interpreter. Visit IFWiki for download links.

Zozzled

by Steph Cherrywell profile

Comedy

Hotsy-totsy! It's 1928 and you're madcap flapper Hazel Greene, tottering around the city's finest hotel with a gullet full of giggle juice...until a gaggle of ghosts shows up to spoil the fun by turning every drop in the place into lousy, undrinkable WATER. Explore the beautiful Poseidon Grand Hotel, meet Barnaby Mooch the Magnificent Pooch, and get splifficated on a snootful of ectoplasm in this paranormal puzzle comedy.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2019
IFID: 0C0FB9BD-7976-4244-932F-0C15390B900B
TUID: 436g2gu94kxin4x7

Winner - Tie, Best Game; Nominee, Best Writing; Nominee, Best Story; Winner, Best Puzzles; Winner, Best NPCs; Nominee - Helping Madame Ping Ping with the séance, Best Individual Puzzle; Winner - Inspiring the artist, Best Individual Puzzle; Winner - Hazel Greene, Best Individual PC - 2019 XYZZY Awards

1st Place overall; 2nd Place, Miss Congeniality - 25th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2019)

Stephen Granade
Let's Play Zozzled!
Let's play Steph Cherrywell's text adventure "Zozzled!", which won the 2019 Interactive Fiction Competition.

Classic Cherrywell with a strong dose of spirits, October 7, 2019

This game is the kind of thing Steph Cherrywell is known for: smooth humor, a large, easily navigable map, genre tropes pursued to their logical end, plenty of polish, and vivid characters.

I found this game's puzzles more logical than some other Cherrywell games, though I had trouble with one particular artist. Looking back, I ignored many, many, hints.

You play as a flapper (with all the 20's lingo) whose desperate for a drink. But it's all been soaked up by ghosts, so you have to hunt them down one by one!

I really enjoyed this game, and I think that it has a great chance of wining this year's comp.

Flappy and fun, April 11, 2020
by eldis (UK)

I enjoyed playing this game through and found the best thing about it was the writing. The puzzles were not too hard and the challenges all manageable. The hardest thing was the transition between choice mode (e.g. 1 - do this 2 - do that) to the standard parser mode.

Overall a great story, very funny and quirky. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Lovely humour, great puzzles, excellent flow., December 27, 2019
by Stian
Related reviews: IFComp 2019

This is a solid, well-polished game with lovely humour and great puzzles. Not mind-blowing, just very good. In the end I found it was rather perfectly balanced, integrating a lovely and fun story with a decent set of rather original puzzles. The flow and timing of Zozzled is particularly impressive, making it clear that this is the work of an experienced author. Of Steph’s earlier games, I have only played Brain Guzzlers from Beyond! which I found too easy, making it more of a story than a game. Zozzled, on the other hand, manages to combine story and game as well as any work of IF I have played. I’m sure it will be featured on many lists of recommended IF in the years to come.

If you enjoyed Zozzled...

People who like Zozzled also gave high ratings to these games:

The Ballroom, by Liza Daly
You arrived at the ballroom well after midnight. The End.

Heretic Dreams, by Hannah Powell-Smith
They would call what you did heresy. No one knows you swallowed the power of a god, but it will break you apart.

The Devil and the Mayor, by Jonathan Laury
You've been summoned Up Top to make a deal, but do the humans really need much help damning themselves? Perhaps a little assistance wouldn't hurt... This is a Twine game where you play as a devil making a series of interconnected deals...

Zozzled appears in the following Recommended Lists:

My new walkthroughs for September 2020 by David Welbourn
During the morning of Monday September 28, 2020, I published new walkthroughs for the games and stories listed below! Some of these were paid for by my wonderful patrons at Patreon. Please consider supporting me to make even more new...

Games that made me smile by MathBrush
I wanted to do a list of comedy games, but I think people rarely think "I want to play a comedy game"; to me, the phrase brings up some kind of jokey, goofy game, like many of the poorly made Twine games that people make now. Instead,...

Introducing a friend to IF by KatherineTheCurst
This is a list I am making for a friend who has never played any IF before. I tried to include games that would be a good starting point for someone new to the format, but it also has a lot of personal favorites.

The following polls include votes for Zozzled:

Best parser games since 2017 by Rovarsson
When browsing for good recent games, I'm overwhelmed by the amount of Twine and Choice games. Add to that a great number of games with five stars and only one rating, many of which are also, yes, Twine and Choice games, it gets difficult...

For your consideration: XYZZY-eligible Best Individual Puzzle of 2019 by MathBrush
This is for suggesting games released in 2019 which you think might be worth considering for Best Individual PUzzle in the XYZZY awards. This is not a zeroth-round nomination.This is not an official list. The point of poll is partly to...

Solved without Hints by joncgoodwin
I'm very interested in hearing truthful accounts of at least somewhat difficult games (or games that don't solve themselves at least) solved completely without recourse to hints, walkthroughs, etc.

This is version 7 of this page, edited by autumnc on 17 September 2022 at 10:17am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item