at the author's website.
So, You've Never Played a Text .zblorb

So, You've Never Played a Text Adventure Before, Huh?

by Ryan Veeder profile

Robin Monaghan and her friends explore a creepy house.

First Publication Date: April 2, 2014
IFID: AA10EEA5-005A-4D4B-BE7E-C2C81DF1AD84
TUID: z9mk3i7w95wtdqnz

A Robin and Orchid spinoff as a tutorial, July 22, 2017

This review is part of the Official Ryan Veeder Weekend Review Communal Effort with Guaranteed Prize.

This is a spin-off of Robin and Orchid. You are investigating a haunted house, and fall down a hole.

The best part of the game is the demonstration of the three main methods of conversation.

The least best part of the game is the hinting. While it is generally good, there were times where the hints just kind of kicked out at important moments. The inexperienced adventurer that I was playing as got frustrated at not, for instance, knowing how to get through the door.

I enjoyed the ending considerably, though.

A gentle, fun introduction, March 13, 2017
by mattlaschneider
Related reviews: tutorial

This a a good introduction to a lot of the basic elements that players will encounter in a variety of parser-based IF. Veeder's strong voice works well here, as it makes the sometimes-daunting idea of IF into something fun and conversational. I found the game to be a bit shorter than I would've expected (by no means is it anything like The Dreamhold), but some new players might appreciate being able to complete this game relatively quickly. Seasoned players will be able to enjoy a lot of the small touches Veeder puts into the game, such as the status line updates.

A softly welcome distraction for a 2020 evening, September 1, 2020

Softly distracting from the terrors of pre-election 2020 (I can't imagine what the post-election terrors will be like, specifically because I don't want to give 2021 any ideas, it's not a contest, hush there 2021, no need to assert yourself - just sleep). Ryan is funny. Ryan, you're funny. I wish this game was longer, so I could continue softly distracting myself with humor. I request a sequel called "So, You've Never Fought Against Racism During A Global Pandemic Before, Huh?"

If you enjoyed So, You've Never Played a Text Adventure Before, Huh?...

People who like So, You've Never Played a Text Adventure Before, Huh? also gave high ratings to these games:

A Scurvy of Wonders, by Rob Dubbin, Courtney Stanton, and Darius Kazemi
You play as a person on a yacht who is dying from scurvy. Apparently pursuing a diet of just pizza, chicken fingers, and beer for nearly two months wasn't your best idea. A tiny amount of vitamin C can save you, but you can barely move....

The Cove, by Kathleen M. Fischer

De Baron, by Victor Gijsbers
An evil nobleman, a kidnapped daughter and a father who wants to rescue her at any cost--that is not the way life works. Something much darker, something much more human, lies underneath.

The following polls include votes for So, You've Never Played a Text Adventure Before, Huh?:

I don't know how to play a game by High virago
i don't know how to play a game in the ifdb so can you please tell me?

I'm looking for Easter Eggs.. by morganthegirl
I'm somewhat new to IF and was wondering if Easter Eggs are ever hidden in these games as they are in others? If so, which games have them? If there a lot of them, then which ones are the "best"?

Best Short Games (5-60 minutes) by Sasha Davidovna
I'm pretty new to IF and am having a lot of fun, but in between a toddler and a job and other real life stuff, I'm having trouble finding time to finish many of the longer games I want to play. Can you please recommend me some fun and/or...

This is version 5 of this page, edited by Zape on 4 May 2021 at 10:33pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item