A Blank Page

by Edu Sánchez

A short story about creative block and the impostor syndrome

First Publication Date: April 2, 2021
IFID: 5F0FEB3E-7440-4DBB-A19D-D4841C0C4555
TUID: z4tu46yco3bo2fp5

Entrant, Main Festival - Spring Thing 2021

Decent short piece about overcoming writer's block, April 3, 2021
by RadioactiveCrow (Irving, TX)

This is a Twine piece in which you play a writer, or at least someone who aspires to be such, trying to just get something on that damn page to start your novel. I think anyone who has encountered such a problem will recognize many of the excuses to avoid writing and the honest attempts to jump-start your creativity.

The game loops a little bit more in the beginning than I would prefer (I was beginning to wonder if the game had an end or if it stayed in the loop forever to make a point), but slowly progress is made and new choices become available.

A decent effort, if nothing too special. A fun, short piece, worth a few minutes of your time.

A short game about getting the courage to begin writing, April 11, 2021

I found this game somewhat stressful, as it reminds me of writing my big novel.

In this Twine game, you sit down and have to focus and begin typing your grand novel, kind of like Violet, where you have to sit down and type out 1000 words of your dissertation. Also like Violet, the main goal is to overcome your distractions.

The similarities end there. This game is fairly short, and the main gameplay doesn't have the puzzle (although the hints in the download show (Spoiler - click to show)how to solve a hidden puzzle to get a true ending).

The struggle of writing is real, and a lot of this game is relatable. Although it focuses on how hard it is to get started, for me, it was hard every day to pick up where I had left off.

While I found the game well-done, with a nice opening animation, there were some things that could be improved. Some paragraphs were spaced apart, while some were not, for instance. And, overall, it felt like it needed just a little more 'something', a 'je ne sais quoi'; I know that's vague, but that's the only way I can put it in words.

This is version 3 of this page, edited by Zape on 4 April 2021 at 9:21pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item