oppositely-opal.gblorb
Verbose walkthrough (and one-room map) by David Welbourn.

Oppositely Opal

by Buster Hudson profile

You've practiced long and hard for PotionComp, but Grusilda won't give up her title so easily. UGH! Curse that Grusilda!

A one-room potion-brewing spell-casting parser puzzler, where things might go opposite the way you planned.

First Publication Date: February 16, 2015
IFID: EC08A4FB-02F1-471B-AB59-117A5CB70AD3
TUID: z3scyumvgsr75blm

Nominee, Best Puzzles; Nominee, Best Individual Puzzle; Nominee, Best Individual PC - 2015 XYZZY Awards

Entrant overall; 2nd Place, Overall; 2nd Place, Best Writing; 2nd Place, Best Story; 1st Place, Best Puzzles; 1st Place, Best Technical - ParserComp 2015

A fun game with a cute sense of humour, September 2, 2017

This is a fun, relatively short game with a great sense of humour and a lovely writing style. The puzzles aren't too tricky (although I occasionally felt that I'd come up with a valid solution that simply didn't work), and the in-game hint system is great at nudging you in the right direction without spoiling too much. The game embraces its light-hearted quirkiness, resulting in puzzles that are a joy to solve. The story is slightly more poignant than I'd expected, which was a nice surprise.

A valley-girl one-room witch puzzle with interesting puzzle system, February 3, 2016

In this game, you play a witch who has been confined to a single room during a potion competition. You must brew a potion to win, however, you suffer a major disadvantage, because there is something wrong with your magic.

I was hesitant about this game at first, because I found the language annoying (imagine the writing by Anna from Frozen: "I am SO going to catch her!"). Also, the first few puzzles were almost trivial.

However, I realized as time went on that the writing produced a consistent and interesting worldview (as the backstory unfolded), and that the first puzzles were just an easy tutorial. The game got progressively more difficult, until I needed 3 hints to get through puzzles.

The hints are very mild, provided entirely by your cat's actions.

There's a few red herrings in this game, and a bit of 'guess the author's brain', but by the time I finished, I realized that I genuinely enjoyed this game.

Cute, funny, approachable!, July 24, 2020

Enjoyed the one-room format and lighthearted, quirky characters! The puzzles and magic were creative and just the right amount of difficulty.

If you enjoyed Oppositely Opal...

Other members recommend these games for people who like Oppositely Opal, or gave both high ratings:

To Hell in a Hamper, by J. J. Guest
Professor Pettibone, eminent Victorian balloonist, has a problem. He can't get it up. His balloon that is. If he can't reach an altitude of 20,000 feet, and soon, both he and his mysterious travelling companion Hubert Booby will be...

Moments Out of Time, by L. Ross Raszewski
"Note: requires a Z6-capable interpreter, preferably with Blorb sound support." [--blurb from Competition Aught-One]

Can You Find The Mole In This Spy Organization?, by ClickHole
London, 1971. You sit at your typewriter, typing up a report while reflecting on your mysterious and troubling past. Your hands glide over the keys, but they are no normal hands and no normal keys. They are spy hands and spy keys. You...

Oppositely Opal appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Games that made me smile by MathBrush
I wanted to do a list of comedy games, but I think people rarely think "I want to play a comedy game"; to me, the phrase brings up some kind of jokey, goofy game, like many of the poorly made Twine games that people make now. Instead,...

Best of 2015 (pre-IF Comp) by MathBrush
These are my favorite games that have been released this year so far. I'm sure I've missed some good ones. I'm also including some I haven't yet played. PLEASE comment if you think any other games belong on this list.

2020 Alternative Top 100 by Denk
(Created 24-Jul-2020) Philosophy: 1. If a game only has 5-star ratings, it is because the game hasn't received enough ratings. 2. Games with few ratings can still be among the best. 3. Sometimes the average score is the best metric. The...

The following polls include votes for Oppositely Opal:

Great Escapes by JonathanCR
Everyone knows that "escape the room" games and puzzles are an IF cliché. But which are the best examples of this classic genre?

games with magic by Xw
any game will do

games about cats by beetlesack99
are there any

This is version 9 of this page, edited by Zape on 4 May 2021 at 10:35pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item