play on line

Poppet

by Bitter Karella profile

Dark Fantasy

A ragdoll awakes in an empty house. You're not sure how long you've been asleep. You're not sure where you are. And, worst of all, you're not sure what happened to the girl who once treasured you as her favorite toy.

But you're going to find out.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2019
Development System: Quest
IFID: A44179E0-0122-4D60-A886-2C1BFB9BC0E3
TUID: v8cg4xwjxjwua20k

9th Place - 25th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2019)

Medium-length puzzler with light-horror atmosphere, November 17, 2019

You are a doll, waking up in a long-abandoned house, and must solve the mystery of how you got there and why you’re awake when your child is nowhere around. This game harkens back more to Night House than the Guttersnipe games, with a similar theme of exploring a scary darkened home at night. You’ve still got to adjust to the unique qualities of Quest, with its give-you-some-of-the-options-through-clicking-but-not-all play format, but this feels a little more intuitive than in previous entries by this author– most of the stuff that requires typing is ‘ask’ or ‘use x with y’ and it’s pretty obvious when you need to type those commands.

The puzzles require enough thought to be satisfying (researching and putting together spells is a big part of it, and it’s a blast) but aren’t that difficult – I finished the game in a single session, and only needed to check the walkthrough once, when I was on the wrong track with a solution and needed to make sure I wasn’t just missing the right phrasing. The atmosphere is deliciously creepy – this is always one of Bitter Karella’s strengths. If you like not-too-tough puzzles and a touch of horror, don’t miss this one.

Zombie dolls, October 6, 2019

You play as a doll who was once brought to life by a child's magic, but awakes now when the child is long gone.

You explore a dark two-story house filled with death, decay, and dark magic.

I loved the cast of characters, and found many of the puzzles satisfying. I think I had more fun with this game than I did with anything else in the comp so far.

Quest is just not as powerful as Inform or Tads or Dialog, though. Quest's worst feature is synonym handling. Synonyms apparently must be typed in for each verb combination.

For instance, if something is called ADJECTIVE NOUN, then one puzzle might be solvable by typing VERB1 NOUN, but another puzzle might only except VERB2 ADJECTIVE NOUN. And due to Quest's weaker engine, it won't tell you you're close or detect if you've almost typed the right thing.

Bitter Karella usually does much better than other Quest authors in this regard, but some slipped through this time. For instance, (Spoiler - click to show)TAKE CLAWS or GET CLAWS produced no text, incorrect text, or just baffling text at different points in the game.

Overall though, I love this game. Fun!

If you enjoyed Poppet...

People who like Poppet also gave high ratings to these games:

Starry Seeksorrow, by Caleb Wilson (as Ayla Rose)
An entry in ShuffleComp: Disc 2. Inspired by "The Violet Hour" by Dolls Come to Life.

Who Are You?, by TheWrittenSword
A short jaunt about transitions. Written as a very self-indulgent piece for my friends, and as practice with Twine. First completed work using Twine.

Le jour où la Terre dégusta, by Yakkafo
​Vous croyiez devoir finir vos jours à enseigner la linguistique dans un amphithéâtre décrépi, quand la France vient vous confier une mission hors du commun : sauver la Terre d’un quiproquo interplanétaire.

Poppet appears in the following Recommended Lists:

My new walkthroughs for June 2021 by David Welbourn
On Thursday June 24, 2021, I published new walkthroughs for the games and stories listed below! Some of these were paid for by my wonderful patrons at Patreon. Please consider supporting me to make even more new walkthroughs for works of...

The following polls include votes for Poppet:

For your consideration: XYZZY-eligible Best Setting of 2019 by MathBrush
This is for suggesting games released in 2019 which you think might be worth considering for Best Setting in the XYZZY awards. This is not a zeroth-round nomination.This is not an official list. The point of poll is partly to suggest...

Best of Quest by Denk
There are more than 600 Quest games on IFDB. Surely there must be a lot of bad Quest games, but there are certainly good ones too. It would be interesting to know, which ones are worth playing.

This is version 5 of this page, edited by David Welbourn on 24 June 2021 at 4:03pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item