The Thick Table Tavern

by manonamora profile

bartender simulator

One dream. Fourteen days. Serve drinks and gather enough tips to make it happen in time. Or choose chaos and mix whatever you feel like, damned the consequences.

- Story Mode with 6 endings, 3 difficulty levels for the drink mixing and randomly generated paths.

- Arcade Mode with 3 game type (Endless, Perfection and Timed) where you can just mix drinks.

You can play with either a mouse or a keyboard (links are keybinded).

Content warning: mention and use of alcohol, mention of violence, lewd language and swearing, animated text and background (can be toggled off)

Bartending simulation, fantasy •

Two hours •

Choice-based •

Twine

(See guide)

Current Version: V0.1
IFID: 39987FD1-3ADE-4C1F-A884-E962B5DF8B22
TUID: u5fx8uysjk7yiw3w

37th Place - 28th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2022)

A lengthy and somewhat heartwarming game about running a tavern, October 21, 2022

As someone who's never tried alcohol, mixed drinks always seem intriguing; I always imagine they'd be like milkshakes or punch or other sweet things. From what people say, it's not really like that. But I like the way the bottles look and the idea of trying to combine ingredients in a neat way.

This game heavily features a minigame where you have a stock of drinks (represented visually with nice graphics) and have to mix specific cocktails from it. All real-world drinks have been re-named, and some are pretty funny (especially ones that are just nicknames for a single drink).

The main storyline is about you, a young individual, trying to save up enough money to buy out the tavern owner. Simultaneously, you are contacted by a 'watcher', an extradimensional being, who discusses the nature of agency with you.

The dialogue in the game is written with an accent, which is always a risky choice, as it can come off pretty goofy or hard to read. This one was fairly simple, though, so that's good.

There is some strong profanity in the game (I have a filter that turns it off, because why not?), and some mild references to sexual situations.

Overall:
-Polish: I had a couple of times where a major event repeated itself (making a buffet, passing out, etc.) and there was some fiddliness with things like the tip box, where you made a choice whether to put it out or not, then when doing the 'getting ready for the day' menu, you had the choice again, repeated word-for-word. Just things like that I feel could be fixed up a bit.
+Descriptiveness: The game is very descriptive, especially with the imaginative cocktail names.
-Interactivity: Like several other reviewers have pointed out, the main minigame can get monotonous. I got to flinching when I'd get another round of 9 orders. But I think the core idea is good, maybe it just needs a few tweaks. I wish there was a sense of progression in skill, or something to learn, but after the first few it's mainly repeating identical actions.
+Emotional impact: I found it heartwarming the way the group could hassle each other but also bond in positive ways.
+Would I play again? With a few changes, like those mentioned above, I think it would be fun.

Beautiful Gameplay, Fun Mixing Minigames, October 7, 2022

This game has really gorgeous UI, a story mode, and several arcade modes. You play as a bartender in a fantasy universe (think typical fantasy TTRPGs) and serve clients drinks.

The story mode needed a little more attention when I played. There were still a few bugs, but these will likely all be fixed soon, if they haven't been addressed already. The author has been extremely responsive to all reports of errors.

The arcade mode, though, and the core drink-mixing mechanics, are an absolute triumph. The UI really shines here, with colorful bottles, a variety of recipes, and gameplay that is just difficult enough to be challenging (the timed modes are especially fun).

There are also a few clever UI implementations in the story mode gameplay itself, which add variety to the randomized patron encounters (one involving Tarot Cards was really delightful).

All-in-all, definitely a game I would recommend. Whether you play around in arcade mode for a few minutes, or take some time and delve into story mode and meet the Tavern's customers, you're in for an entertaining experience.

Innovative Bartending Simulator, October 22, 2022
by reyryan
Related reviews: IFComp 2022

A relaxing bartending game with both story and arcade mode,set in a fictional town with all kinds of characters appearing on the tavern telling their mundane and fantastical stories or who just want to have a good time. Either listen to their stories or challenge yourself and memorize recipes by making drinks in arcade mode. Interactive fiction with bartending elements mixed in it: What more could I ask for?

Now,while i do enjoy playing drink-making games it's rare to see interactive fiction or any type of story to read with them. I personally enjoy games where I can interact with NPC's and hear their stories so that's why I went for the story mode most of the time in my playthroughs. Replayability is a strong point of The Thick Table Tavern along with it's worldbuilding which though it is not extensive, it's intriguing nonetheless.

Having said that,there is a need for proofreading in the story mode. As a previous reviewer said,there are some grammar errors throughout the story that need to be fixed.

A chill game overall with a compelling story mode and great UI.

If you enjoyed The Thick Table Tavern...