Zipped game file
Zip file containing all Grand Guignol entries into ECTOCOMP 2016

A Friend to Light Your Way

by verityvirtue profile

There may be no incense, no cymbals, no monks at this funeral, but the night watch is mandatory. You've volunteered to take the watch for the first night, and just as well: you can hear him calling. Go round the void deck to get what you need.

A Grand Guignol entry for ECTOCOMP 2016.

Source image for cover art: Balaji Dutt M V, shared under CC BY 2.0.

First Publication Date: October 31, 2016
TUID: rntb3gsaxb8h4lb4

5th Place, Le Grand Guignol - EctoComp 2016

A short creepy story infused with East Asian culture, July 1, 2017

This game describes a creepy summoning ritual that you are attempting to carry out as explore the remnants of a funeral for your grandfather that combines East Asian and Christian funeral traditions.

I found the cultural portions good, and the creature being summoned was creepy, but the game ended too abruptly I thought, and I wasn't all the way drawn in. But these are small problems for a SpeedIF entry.

verityvirtue at her best, January 19, 2017
by IFforL2 (Chiayi, Taiwan)

This story includes a light puzzle and a bit of creepiness. What I really love about it is the spot-on cultural setting. Right at the start, you can choose between two very realistic and quintessential types of Asian daughters for the PC. As you enter the scene, every detail, from conversations to "rooms" genuinely feels like modern rural China or Taiwan. (Please forgive the comparison! It's not politically motivated!) The author could have kept this as a very well-written slice-of-life. But the puzzle and the creepy plot do a good job of gamifying it all.

If you enjoyed A Friend to Light Your Way...