Barry Basic and the Quest for the Perfect Port
Link to the itch.​io game page, where the game can be played in the browser.

Barry Basic and the Quest for the Perfect Port

by Dee Cooke profile

Part of Barry Basic

It's 1987, and Barry Basic is keen to reach a whole new fanbase by porting his BBC Micro computer game to the ZX Spectrum. However, he needs to convert his code first!

As Barry, you need to find everything that will help you port your game and make a new name for yourself among Spectrum fans.

This mini-adventure was designed in preparation for the Adventuron Next Adventure Jam 2020, in order to test the procedure for making an Adventuron game Spectrum-compatible.

Language: English (en-GB)
First Publication Date: July 4, 2020
Current Version: 0.1.0
Development System: Adventuron
TUID: r51sdhe3irhjwav

The origins of Barry Basic, with some secondhand nostalgia, May 4, 2022
by Andrew Schultz (Chicago)

It's hard to capture the feeling of discovering a new programming language or system and seeing that, yes, some things you always hoped were simple are, indeed. Or that new feature is a bit different in ways you didn't expect. There's a lot of plowing through stuff and educated guessing until it works. There can only be so many ways to do it wrong, right?

That's usually not so hot in games. The plowing through stuff had better be obfuscated by an adventure, or it should be pretty short, and in BBQPP, you get both. It's a two-room game, with Barry's computer room (old BBC Micro, new ZX Spectrum) and the downstairs room where a new package has come in. So there's a bit of excitement built up here and a bit of nostalgia as well, even though I never had a Micro or Spectrum. I did have various programming books I understood progressively more of, the more I programmed them and ran them and tweaked them, and years later I was excited to a PDF-scanned version of a sequel to a childhood favorite. I'm sure Barry did the same sort of tweaking, too, though I don't think a wash-rinse-repeat in BBQPP itself would've been beneficial.

BBQPP doesn't tell you the commands to win, and while it's a guess-the-verb sort of puzzle, the verb isn't too hard to guess, and it feels like when I'm learning a programming language. I start looking for too-obscure stuff before realizing the solution was simple, and it should be, or nobody would want to move over to the cool new programming language.

The first installment of Barry Basic isn't as robust as the ones that came after it, but it wasn't supposed to be, since it was for a jam with a very specific purpose, and I believe it hit the target there without micromanaging the player. But it captured moments of discovery I remember for my youth. Perhaps it only did so because I had already played and enjoyed the two Barry Basic games (as of May 2022--cross one's fingers) that followed it and wanted just a bit more. But it did so nonetheless and reminded me I didn't need any extraordinary excitement or huge fights to have those moments. I wound up looking a lot of odd programming stuff immediately after playing it.

It's a tech demo, July 26, 2020

The game isn't really meant to be played; it's a sample game intended to demonstrate the Adventuron -> Spectrum converter. There's a YouTube video that explain the process.

If you enjoyed Barry Basic and the Quest for the Perfect Port...

People who like Barry Basic and the Quest for the Perfect Port also gave high ratings to these games:

Wake Up, by Phillip J Rhoades
You are awake and alone. Unable to move. Unable to fight against the thing slowly rising from within you. Is there any part of you that can resist? Any part that you can still move? (Based on a true event in my life when I was fourteen)...

President Disaster, by Maeve Adams, Marc Faletti
America faces its greatest threat yet. And now you have the worst and most important babysitting job in the history of the universe. Good luck!

Please Help Me, by Phillip J Rhoades
Help the person on the other end of the machine get free. You find a small black box with a keyboard and a little screen buzzing and flashing at you. When you pick it up, you see the numbers "1979" scratched into the black plastic. You...

This is version 2 of this page, edited by jakomo on 13 April 2021 at 2:16pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item