Invasion (sub-Q release)

Invasion

by Cat Manning profile

The end of the world, and there's something after you.

A short horror Twine about sacrifice, survival, and relative humanity.

Le Grand Guignol entry in ECTOCOMP 2015.

First Publication Date: October 31, 2015
TUID: r2y6iry1bz5lkpht

2nd Place, Le Grand Guignol - EctoComp 2015

Segue

There’s a long tradition, in Western literature, of questioning whether fighting against an inhuman threat provokes the loss of one’s humanity. Invasion interrogates how fleeing – how being a victim of such a threat might as well.

Relentlessly suspenseful , February 17, 2016

There's a constant sense of psycho-emotional drain that permeates this exceptional IF piece. I found myself being worn down by a relentless prey and wanting so desperately to fight it off. It's a great experience with a great twist on the nature of memory in times of trauma that I will not spoil for you. Give your nightmare fuel a favor and read it! The author honors the most primal of all horror traditions -- the truest horror lurks inside ourselves -- and crafts a piece that is as entertaining as it is spooky. Her prose is top tier, and for this reader, was a much needed break from the formulaic "Suddenly, a ____ does a ___ and you scream _____!" dribble of typical writers.

Mid-length identity horror Twine with illustrations , February 3, 2016

This game was one of my favorite Ectocomp 2015 entries, and later was polished into a Sub Q magazine game.

In this game, you play a young woman in a post apocalyptic world where humans are hunted down by (Spoiler - click to show)things that mimic human appearance/voice and consume flesh and memories. You

This is effective, similar to the early mind manipulation episodes of Dr Who before it became ridiculous.

The Sub Q release has beautiful illustrations that contribute significantly to the feel of the game.

My favorite Sub Q game to this date. Strongly recommended.

If you enjoyed Invasion...