Have you played this game?You can rate this game, record that you've played it, or put it on your wish list after you log in.
Playlists and Wishlists
RSS FeedsNew member reviews
Updates to downloadable files
All updates to this page
About the Story
Entry in Ectocomp 2014.
9th Place - EctoComp 2014
|Average Rating: |
Number of Reviews: 4
Write a review
Most Helpful Member Reviews
This was a fun but frustrating little puzzle. You are a parasite in a human and you want to get out.
There are 7 steps to getting out, but you have to do them in exactly the correct order. Timing is essential. The game allows you to take several incorrect paths at first, so you can't just go through the options systematically, you have to read the failure text and respond.
I liked it.
1) The puzzle is neither too easy nor too hard. You can beat the game in several minutes - but it gives you a surprising amount of satisfaction for such a short playtime.
2) The sequence puzzle perfectly fits the choice-based format. When all the options are laid out openly in front of the player and they don't have to guess the right actions - how can you make the player think, create the element of surprise? By making them guess the right sequence of the given actions, of course.
3) The choice-based format perfectly fits the xenobiology puzzle. Imagine if you had to type commands you need here - like DISENGAGE CREMASTRAL HOOK - again and again in a parser game; Twine mercifully lets us just click the links.
4) The game gives you interesting feedback when you do things in a wrong order. There are 7 different ways to kill a pharate; there are 94 losing paths through every game cycle and only one way to win. But when your plan goes south, you always learn something new and put together a new plan in the light of fresh information.
5) The game's horrific nature is not just for the sake of horror. It suits another purpose: the creatures are so monstrous, evil and repulsive that the player isn't likely to feel sympathy and get attached; so they can experiment freely and sacrifice as many pharates as they like while trying to understand the logic of the puzzle.
6) It's well-written. Laconic phrases and preteritions let the player's imagination run wild; that's one of the strengths of interactive fiction, an effect which is hard to achieve in a graphic game.
Time to completion: 10-15 minutes (your mileage may vary)
Three cycles since fecundation. The pharates can taste our thoughts. Their pupal minds yearn for mothers' milk.
You are sending commands to a parasitic, insectile entity, and there are a number of steps it must complete before it can successfully parasitise the host. Your task, then, is to figure out the correct order for the steps.
The puzzle is aided by informative failure messages, but even then, I took many turns to figure out a vaguely correct sequence. There is no question of error.
The writing in this game is deliberately wielded as well: the language is florid, like that favoured by Lovecraft, but terse; a tally of the casualties (or the pharates you fail to guide to eclosion) reminds you of the consequences of your clumsiness. This is body horror the way I like it.
See All 4 Member Reviews
If you enjoyed Eclosion...
Related GamesPeople who like Eclosion also gave high ratings to these games:
|Barry Basic and the Quick Escape, by Dee Cooke|
Average member rating: (4 ratings)
Somewhere near a quiet English village in 1969, a forbidding-looking computer factory looms over the woods. Most of the local kids prefer to avoid the place, but computer-obsessed Barry Basic has decided to go nosing around the building....
|Calliope, by Jason McIntosh|
Average member rating: (10 ratings)
|Summer Night City, by ghoti|
Average member rating: (5 ratings)
But even the most potent of prayers are prone to overuse, and my life, I'm sure, would sooner or later have been extinguished by my own hand. That the timing of their arrival precluded this fate came strictly as a relief. Wretched is he...
Recommended ListsEclosion appears in the following Recommended Lists:
Ectocomp Games (All English Winners/Entries) by thecanvasrose
A list I created for myself so I can play all of these games. Sorted by rank and year. English entries. I'll add descriptions and my own ratings (out of 5 stars) to the entries in this list as I go through them.
PollsThe following polls include votes for Eclosion:
This is version 2 of this page, edited by RavenWorks on 15 October 2018 at 1:07pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item