Pub Hubbub

by Christopher Drum profile

Literally the first game I've ever written.

Also the first time I've ever used Inform for anything more than a tutorial.

Also the first game jam I've ever participated in.

Definitely learned a lot, and it wasn't until the last two days that I felt like I was starting to find the voice I wanted for the writing. I think there is one strong puzzle, one so-so puzzle, and the rest are pretty much just filler. The title is a bit inaccurate, but when I said it out loud I couldn't stop laughing, so I kept it. So, I'm treating this entry as the "first draft," then I'll polish it up a bit, make it more interactive, spruce up this page design, and do a post-jam release that doesn't make me cringe to know it is out in public. But, for now, it is what it is and I hope someone gets some enjoyment out of it.

First Publication Date: May 2, 2021
Development System: PunyInform
TUID: mzbe0tjn05c3pgh2

Entrant - PunyJam #1

Scrub, Bub, Scrub!, May 4, 2021
by Andrew Schultz (Chicago)
Related reviews: PunyJam 2021

With a title like Pub Hubbub, you'd expect a few cheap jokes, and they're the good sort of cheap, the ones that give good return for relatively little investment. The game may not be super-ambitious, but it's a well-organized first effort with enough humor to keep you going through any frustrations you might have with the parser or with the time limitation. An ominous note saying your boss, John, owes $2500 "or else" adds to the plot.

You start in a broom closet, as with every PunyJam entry, and have four pub-cleaning tasks to complete in two hours of game time, or 120 moves. And while standard parser peeves (some rejected commands cost you a move), I was actually able to figure what to do even without logging on to my boss John's computer. The execution required some parser-wrangling, and in fact my first time through I just missed completing everything. Fortunately, nothing drastic happened, and the drudge work makes enough sense it was easy to replicate. Basic stuff you need to do so the pub isn't too nasty.

The game does a good job of brushing off parser mistakes with a joke. Nothing demeaning, but advice from older wiser relatives pops up if you forget something. The rejects for cleaning you don't need to do also amused me, and when I browsed the source code, I found other things I'd missed.

Nothing's too gross or out there, and in fact, there is one way to die that's lampshaded nicely. And there's a cigarette machine which contains more humor than cigarette machines generally do, and even a puzzle.

Given the game's general tone, I was able to figure roughly what the note was about before my boss John came back, and you may, too. But the details still made me laugh.

This is a good, promising first game. It has a few small bugs (or I think they're bugs and not my own incompetence) I'm glad to overlook, because the main stuff seems to work.

This is version 3 of this page, edited by ChristopherDrum on 4 May 2021 at 2:15am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item