Lost Pig

- John Simon (London), October 31, 2013

- grainne6, October 25, 2013

- Mostly Useless (Leicester, UK), September 26, 2013

Onion A. V. Club

While the game is short, and a few of the puzzles rely on conveniently magical explanations, Lost Pig makes a hilarious case for why text still matters.

Wyrmis.com

Well crafted, not too long, requires pleasantly clever choices, and written strongly through to the end. Excellent IF title. Going up there as one of my favorites.

Jörgs Wort[be]reich
Rezension zum IF-Comp 2007 (German)

Du bist ein Ork auf der Suche nach einem Schwein, das deinem Chef gehört und stiften gegangen ist. Dies führt dich des nächtens in den Wald, und bald darauf findest du dich in der unterirdischen Behausung eines alchimistisch interessierten Gnoms wieder. Die Sau hast du damit aber noch nicht im Sack...

Der Erzählstil bedient sich des grammatikalischen Verständnisses unseres Hauptdarstellers -- Grunk. Das hört sich anstrengend an, wurde aber so liebevoll und geschickt umgesetzt, daß es tatsächlich schon den ersten Humorbonus dafür gibt. Sämtliche Standardantworten scheinen ebenfalls daraufhin angepaßt worden zu sein, was von großer Gründlichkeit seitens des Autors zeugt. ...

- Adam Myers, September 19, 2013

- Artran (Prague, Czech Republic), September 3, 2013

- Indigo9182, August 14, 2013

- Enrique, July 31, 2013

Charming, enjoyable and a nice break., July 2, 2013

I really enjoyed playing this- It's difficult not to love grunk. The humour is pleasant and the puzzles are quite quirky. It's a nice break from those longer, tougher IFs and a breath of fresh air.

Me love this game!, June 21, 2013
by stadtgorilla (Munich, Germany)

There's really not much to say about this game that hasn't already been said before. It has been featured in countless best-of-lists and lists with games that are accessible for beginners, it's almost legendary, and rightly so. I finally managed to finish the game on my iPhone, this is what I can say:

Grunk is hilarious. There's hardly a command absurd enough not to be greeted with a funny response from this memorable PC. It's worth playing the game for this alone. The implementation is deep. The NPCs are believable, loveable and crafted with a nice bit of character. The puzzles are logical and clued well, and, despite the small map, exploring is fun, as we're playing a loveable dunce manipulating magical artifacts. And despite all zaniness, the exchange between Grunk and the gnome is memorable in several ways. A true classic noone should miss.

- softestbullet, June 19, 2013

Pig maybe smart, but Grunk catch pig. So that mean Grunk more smart, June 6, 2013
by Jim Kaplan (Jim Kaplan has a room called the location. The location of Jim Kaplan is variable.)
Related reviews: admiral jota, humor

Play it if: you want simple, accessible puzzles and a short, sweet family-friendly game that's big on humor and character interaction.

Don't play it if: you're in the mood for something long, challenging, or particularly serious.

It's difficult to say something particularly new about a game like this. With its small scope and broad appeal, a lot of the obvious things have been already stated. But I'll go ahead and try to unpick what I like about this game anyway.

The appeal of Lost Pig all about its main character. Grunk is ostensibly the narrator of this tale, so his attitudes towards things colors the player's entire experience. I find Grunk's fairly simplistic descriptions of things interesting because they are reflective of the archetypal IF player's experience. Like Grunk, we put ourselves into a situation where we're confronted with machines and mechanisms we don't really understand, and we're made to figure out how to use them for our purposes. Grunk describes the world with the naivete of a child, and more importantly the naivete of a first-time player. And like the player, Grunk overcomes that naivete with cunning and shrewdness. Sure, he's not great with auxiliary verbs, tenses, or writing, but he does figure out all the steps needed to get the pig back. And with the addition of the gnome, Grunk can even display a fairly deep level of curiosity by learning about advanced principles of chemistry.

So Grunk's traits are those most IF players wish to cultivate in themselves: intelligence (in solving puzzles) and curiosity (in talking with the gnome).

Add to this his sense of humor. I've always held a soft spot in my heart for those throwaway pieces of coding, like Zork's patronising response to jumping for no reason ("Wheee!" "Very good. Now you can go to the second grade"). Little bits that added some personality to the game world and gently steered you away from the game's inability to let you do absolutely everything. Lost Pig almost feels like a game that's composed of that stuff. A lot of the joy in the game comes from having Grunk try stupid or outrageous things just to see his responses. And because the game is so thorough in implementing the things Grunk can try or do, it gets you to sympathize with him even more. Grunk lets the player act out the more childlike side of their sense of humor, because his willingness to try anything mirror's the player's willingness to make him do anything. Take the act of Grunk taking off his pants in front of the gnome. By itself, it's not particularly funny. But the fact that we're complicit in that act does make it funny. While playing this game, I found myself laughing at stuff I haven't been able to laugh at since the fourth grade.

That may not sound like a compliment per se, and I suppose it isn't if you're looking for something a little more literary. But I think the point that this game has constructed a uniquely sympathetic and charming main character stands.

So what about the secondary aspects of the game? Well, there are no obvious holes in the implementation of the setting. The gnome and pig are lovely characters in and of themselves - the pig for his variety of emotions and reactions (including intellectual disdain for Grunk!), and the gnome for the breadth (if not depth) of conversation you can achieve with him. I liked immensely the fact that the gnome is not immediately hostile towards Grunk - I mean, Grunk could realistically eat the guy - nor is he dismissive towards this comparatively dim and uneducated protagonist. Rather, he's willing to talk in basic terms about most any topic Grunk can think of and a few more besides that. For that he becomes a likable character and his relationship with Grunk, small in scope as it is, compelling.

The puzzles are few and simple, but they rely on intuition rather than method (intentionally so, as the maze demonstrates) and so they give you the pleasure of experiencing those little "eureka" moments every puzzle designer strives to cultivate in a player.

If I had something I'd change about this game, it would simply be the length. The core magical mechanism feels productive for more diverse and complex puzzles than what Lost Pig gives us, and even putting that aside I would have loved to have seen a game where the rather simple initial quest gets this young orc embroiled in something a lot bigger. Failing that, I think Grunk is easily a rich enough character for future adventures.

But that quibble aside, Lost Pig really is a gloriously fun and engrossing way to spend an hour or two.

Family friendly and heartwarming, May 26, 2013
by Andromache (Hawaii)

This was a fairly easy game in which things worked realistically and smoothly. The pig was incredibly frustrating and I was stuck on how to catch it - not because the solution eluded me but because I'd missed a step. I eventually figured it out by myself with some experimentation. And that's a lot of how to get the answers. Playing with things, seeing how they work, and figuring out how to execute the obvious solutions. Thankfully, everything's well-clued. I got the full score on the first try, and I was pleased to see good behavior rewarded. I did use hints, but not for solutions. Just helpful nudges.

(Spoiler - click to show)I really liked the gnome. I didn't stay to chat about everything, but he was kind and made me smile with some of his comments. His speech is very polished and intelligent, so I was thinking at some parts that Grunk would not understand what he was saying, but I appreciated that the gnome didn't try to dumb down his words. It said something about the gnome's character to treat the clearly less academic Grunk as an equal. Some of the narration was funny, too. One of the ones I still remember is when you "x leaf" at the tunnel entrance. Grunk reasons the carving must be part of the stone because it's made of stone and vines are "made of vine." LOL Grunk's description of the pig is funny, too. "Tasty" is right.

I don't tend to make characters do crazy things, so my play of the game was fairly somber and straightforward. But with amusing and likable characters, fun toys to play with, and a lighthearted atmosphere, this is a wonderful story to lose oneself in for a little while. Highly recommend, and I think would be pretty easy for beginners because of the hints.

- Kuffen Bach (Brno), May 7, 2013

- nf, April 21, 2013

- DAzebras, April 18, 2013

- Beable, April 18, 2013

- Shadow Fox (Texas), April 17, 2013

- Floating Info, April 3, 2013

- Brown_Cow, March 10, 2013

Previous | << 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 >> | Next | Show All | Return to game's main page